FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview hardware setup

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hollington Lee
Interview hardware setup
on Feb 18, 2008 at 7:13:45 pm

Good Morning-

I'm trying to figure out an audio setup for some interviews. There's so much to consider but at this point I have some questions:

1) I see that some mic preamps go to USB or Firewire and some plug into a sound card. Does going to USB or Firewire avoid issues of sound card quality (in a $600 laptop)?

2) Instead of the laptop, is it better to buy a dedicated recorder like the Fostex FR2 le ($600) and run mics into that? I do realize that the laptop could, of course, be used for lots of other things as well.

3) I am planning on using this setup to record 2-person interviews only. Assuming a laptop connection, what do you recomend for sub-$300 for 2 mics? I have been to Musicians Friend and they have the Focusrite, Lexicon, PreSonus, M-Audio... so many with good reviews. I really don't know where to start.

I'm trying to get pointed on some direction.

Thank you all in advance.

--Hollington Lee

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Interview hardware setup
on Feb 19, 2008 at 4:06:04 pm

I use a Digi 003 and good mics when I need them but for slam dunk easy wireless lav interviews, I use a presonus Firebox for the ease in which to setup and travel with. It's FW 400 and easy to use. The pre's are ok and also have line level if you have your own pres or go wireless.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]