FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio compressor

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Latter
audio compressor
on Feb 4, 2008 at 8:10:11 pm

I am looking for some advice... I have been using sound forge for a few years to finish audio work that I do for video stuff and such. On a PC. I have in the past couple of years been moving over to a mac system.
I have tried to use Sound Track Pro to do the work I used to do in sound forge. And while it does have some things I like about it the compressor is not one of them. It sounds way too tinny to fast. So I'm taking the audio I need work on over to a PC to do the sound work in sound forge. And then bringing it back over to my mac. Very time consuming.
The advice I need is for a program that will work on a mac, and do a good job. I have looked at some of the Pro Tool programs but can't figure out which one to get. I have no problem getting a whole new program to do audio work with if that need be. Or if there is just a good compressor as a stand alone program to use I can go that way also. I'm trying to find something around the 300.00+/- area. Any advice?

thanks,
bret

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: audio compressor
on Feb 4, 2008 at 11:00:55 pm

Hello Bret and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Audio compressors are pretty much all over the road. Some are colorless. Some have quite a color. If you want a certain thing, you'll have to find the box that does it for you.

PS I see your posted the same message a few times. Are you having troubles posting?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bret Latter
on Feb 5, 2008 at 1:22:04 am

I do appoligize for the multiple posts. Yes I was having a problem with posting. Everytime I would hit 'post' the screen would freeze. I was posting as I was leaving the house so I didn't check the forum to see if it went through. Sorry.

As far as the sound program, does anyone have a suggestion on a few I could look at. I do admit I would like to find a Pro Tools program because I feel it's some what of an industry standard and after learning it I think I could use the knowledge elsewhere.
The audio I mainly work with is the spoken work. For documentries, short films and an occasional commercial.

thanks, bret

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 5, 2008 at 3:02:24 am

No Problem.

Pro Tools is a recording environment. It has some plugin compressors. They are OK, but most folks get third party plugins. I own a Digi 002 and 003 and run Pro Tools 7.3. I like them.

I'd suggest you look at one of the 003 systems. It's firewire. USB is a little too slow.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Anthony Marzilli
on Feb 6, 2008 at 8:15:27 pm

I personally like Wave Arts Track Plug and Final Plug. Those are good 3rd party plug ins that you can use on different programs such as Pro Tools AND Soundtrack and logic and so on. Good compression and EQ.

Return to posts index

Bret Latter
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:30:37 am

Thanks Anthony! I watched some of the tutorials and this looks like what I'm looking for. Question for you. Have you used the compressor and such on spoken words also, or just music?

Bret

Return to posts index

Anthony Marzilli
on Feb 8, 2008 at 4:48:16 pm

The great majority of work I do is TV commercials. I use the track plug and final plug on just about every spoken word that comes out of this place. They work good for music tracks as well just to even things out. The multidynamics is ok too. I feel like sometime that can be too much compression though. So ya... using those plug ins on voices are great. You can control the EQ very well with these on voices.

Return to posts index

Bret Latter
on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:51:25 pm

thanks for the info Anthony!

bret

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]