FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there such a thing as a wired lav mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
Is there such a thing as a wired lav mic?
on Jan 30, 2008 at 3:03:16 pm

I bought this great Senheiser EW 100 G2 mic for use in training videos and stuff but, wouldn't you know it, it doesn't work in our building. I know, right? It's just this building. It works at home and in the parking lot. I tried every channel in every bank and I only get 2-8" of reception and then the mute kicks on.

I was thinking about buying a similar setup but different brand and freq range. Will I have any luck that way? Or am I better off buying a wired lav? Is there even such a thing as a wired lav mic? Something I can run right into the XLR on the camera?

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
Re: Is there such a thing as a wired lav mic?
on Jan 30, 2008 at 6:21:02 pm

lav·a·liere (lv-lîr) also la·val·lière (lävä-lyâr)
n.
A pendant worn on a chain around the neck.
[French lavallière, type of necktie, after Duchesse de La Vallière.]

Maybe we should call the wired ones "leashes"

By all means, hard wired mics are always the most reliable. Morer is involved in hiding the cables but I use them often.

"everything is broken" ......1st. coined by Esther Philips I believe.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Jan 30, 2008 at 6:27:21 pm

Do you have recommendations. I'm making training videos for internal use and other training videos to deliver online for our customers. Nothing fancy but I like things to sound nice. I use a Beachtek on the bottom of my FX1 or I can record onto disk with a Mbox or I can go mini right into the camera.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Jan 30, 2008 at 9:30:50 pm

Some are phantom powered, some have a battery box or inline battery which is what you will need. My audio-technica are cheap but work well for about $160.00 each. They have a 5' mic cable to the power box which has a belt clip and uses 1-AA battery and an XLR connector. Sony has several varieties from ECM 44,55,66,77, all use an inline battery unit with XLR connector end instead of the box style. You can get the ECM with a "C" suffix which is the compact sized XLR connector for use with wireless transmitters so be careful to get the full XLR end.

You beachtek adapter will be perfect.

"everything is broken" ......1st. coined by Esther Philips I believe.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 31, 2008 at 12:42:23 am

Hello Corbin and welcome to he Cow Audio Forum,

The trend these days is to get a lav with a "link" sou you can use it hardwired or with your wireless.

The link is simply a M/F connector wired into the mic cable. With the line IN, the mic is hardwired. Unplug the link and the portion attached to the mic plugs into you wireless transmitter.

Countryman, Sony and AT do this with some of their lavs. It saves you from having to buy extra mics. Countryman also sells different cords for their E series over the ear mics. The cord plugs in to the bottom of the mic fixture. Want a hardwired mic? Use the cord that ends in an XLR. Want to go wireless? Use that cord.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Feb 2, 2008 at 12:45:16 pm

Corbin, check their web site or contact them Trew Audio, Great people , they carry an EMP 5S by Ambient. I use this to do exactly what you are trying to do.

Good Luck
Tom

" EVERY DAY IS A GIFT, which is why we call it the present"

Alfred Hitchcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]