FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Meredith
NTSC to PAL audio
on Jan 26, 2008 at 6:27:03 pm

I brought my NTSC to PAL audio to my audio engineer and we corrected the pitch in Protools. Although isolated in a few seconds it seemed to sound better, in more normal listening conditions the un-pitch corrected PAL audio is fuller and has overall better quality. The pitch correction seemed to affect the dynamic range. The soundtrack sounded like it was coming through a very high quality squawk box.

Are there specialized plug-ins just for PAL pitch correction? We pitched it down 3/4 of a semitone. We had a singer with perfect pitch listen and said with got the pitch just right (she listened to some piano notes in the soundtrack). But the pitch correction did something else to the overall quality.

Any past experience out there?

-sean

Sean Meredith
Director
"Dante's Inferno"
http://www.dantefilm.com

Return to posts index

Reid Caulfield
Re: NTSC to PAL audio
on May 10, 2008 at 2:26:53 am

This is an old question but I'll answer it anyway. What was the channel configuration of the material you pitch shifted (Mono, stereo, 5.1, etc)? Pitch shifting stereo material does a lot of harm to a file aside just changing pitch. The more channels you add into the equation, the more of a problem you'll have. When you say you changed the pitch to accommodate NTSC to PAL conversion, are you talking about changing the time base as well, or did you change the timebase first and now need to change the pitch to match the original? Or did you do it all at once? What software or plugins did you use to do this? It's really a 2 step process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]