FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio/compressor issues in tv studio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bauerfeind
audio/compressor issues in tv studio
on Jan 23, 2008 at 10:28:41 pm

Hi
We run a small tv studio and we are having trouble setting our compressors up.

Compressor - behringer composer pro xl
mixer - mackie 1402

setup: compressors(there are 2 for 4 microphones)
are connected to the mixer thru the inserts.

I assume these are all compressor issues as the mixer works fine independently.
problems:

when all mics are muted on the mixer, if we push up the monitors we can still hear what is being said.

when mic 1 is unmuted the ouput levels are showing on the compressor for channel 2 (ie mic 2)in unison with channel 1 (mic 1).

also, can't have mic 1 and 2 going at the same time as there is major distortion. can't EQ on the mixer as if I try to boost the voice up on , say bass for example, it distorts the sound eg pumping sound.

any help guys?

cheers

Lance

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: audio/compressor issues in tv studio
on Jan 23, 2008 at 11:01:16 pm

Hello Lance and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Compressor - behringer composer pro xl
mixer - mackie 1402

setup: compressors(there are 2 for 4 microphones)
are connected to the mixer thru the inserts.

>>>>It is unclear from your description, but you may have the compressor on two of the four channel inserts. That's not where you want it.

>>>>The Compressor should be in the Mackie main output inserts or between the main outputs of the mackie and the next box down the line.

when all mics are muted on the mixer, if we push up the monitors we can still hear what is being said.

>>>>If you are using the alt outs of the Mackie to feed the monitors, that's what you'll hear. The mutes aren't really just mutes, they switch the audio to the alt output.

when mic 1 is unmuted the ouput levels are showing on the compressor for channel 2 (ie mic 2)in unison with channel 1 (mic 1).

>>>>You don't say exactly where you have the comressor inserted or whether the compressor is being run in dual mono or stereo mode.

also, can't have mic 1 and 2 going at the same time as there is major distortion. can't EQ on the mixer as if I try to boost the voice up on , say bass for example, it distorts the sound eg pumping sound.

>>>>Increasing the bass past an acceptable amount will make any compressor pump.

Why are you using a compressor? BTW, Behringer is not a good name for audio gear. Wehn you think Behringer, think Azden.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

Lance Bauerfeind
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:10:03 pm

Hello Ty and thank you.

Ok, managed to sort out most of the issues. A tech guy we had in put a wrong plug in to the wrong socket.

On the mixer there is a seperate insert for each mic input so we have an insert going to the compressor for each mic. We have 2 compressors which can handle 2 mics each ie 4 mics altogether. So the signal goes into the mixer then from the mixer to the compressor,back to the mixer where it is EQ'd and levels etc then out to a tape deck. This happens for all 4 mics.

I can't see any main inserts on the back of the mixer, can it be called something else? If it is do I need to redo the workflow?

How do I tell if it is dual mono or stereo?

Point noted re the pumping.

The gear was installed by a sound guy who has since left, so we are a bit ignorant regarding sound at present.

Many thanks for your help.

cheers

Lance

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:44:02 pm

Hello Lance,

OK Again. Why are you using a compressor?

I just spent some time on the Mackie site. There are no inputs on the master fader.

To compress the mix, you need to run audio out of the mixer through the compressor to where ever it's going

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

Lance Bauerfeind
on Jan 25, 2008 at 2:06:20 am

the idea is to record the entire show to tape then a master is edited on the linear edit system giving a final product.

there is no post on the final product before it broadcasts.

Lance

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:21:37 am

then put the compressor after the mixer and before the tape machine.

Ty Ford

Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]