FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT Old Alfred Hitchock TV series

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Maloney
OT Old Alfred Hitchock TV series
on Jan 19, 2008 at 1:01:11 am

Please excuse the OT subject. I have been recently watching old Alfred Hitchcock TV series that is out on DVD.My question if anyone knows, how did they get such great audio back in the 1950s. I mean it is superb even today. Ok I know they were in a studio, but I doubt if they had lavs hidden in those days, so what did they use, a mic on a studio boom ? I NEVER see it in the shadows. If anyone can give me a clue , please do. The audio portion of these shows is really good for being done 50 years ago.

thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: OT Old Alfred Hitchock TV series
on Jan 19, 2008 at 11:56:15 am

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

The shows were shot film style and I'm going to guess that Hitch used Fisher Booms. These are wonderfully elaborate rigs. There's a company that's been at NAB for years in the big central hall that usually has one. The guy running it has a lot of fun following folks as they wander up and down the aisles.

And, you're right. These were studios designed for filming. High ceilings, three wall rooms, allof which reduce reflected sound so a shotgun can actually be used. These acoustically designed spaces bear little resemblance to real interiors.

Several years ago I was reviewing a new shotgun mic. Sounded pretty good! Then I caught myself....um, I was in my acoustically designed recording studio. Upstairs in the normal space of my living room the mic sounded a LOT more roomy.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]