Best Wireless Mics?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Zmuda
Best Wireless Mics?
on Jan 15, 2008 at 7:45:29 am

Hi, Everybody!

This may be a completely outlandish question, but:

- If money were no object, what's the best wireless mic system out there?

Specifically, we're looking for a system with which we can get 2 transmitters (one per "talent") going to 1 receiver, mounted on the back of a camera (w/ discrete XLR outputs.)

I've heard names like Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, Audio-Technica, and Sennheiser. Can anyone shed any light onto the subject? Has anyone used any of their systems?

I've used an Audio-Technica system before, but that was 10 years ago. (To be honest, it rocked,) but I have no other (PRO) stuff to compare it to.

Any comments to help me navigate this minefield would be of GREAT help... (Right now, we're looking into the AT 1800 series, retailing for about $1800, but any advice would be awesome!)

Also, can someone tell me which is better? UHF? VHF? XLR-Plug-In, or the belt-pack?

Thanks for all your input on this!

- Mike Zmuda.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Best Wireless Mics?
on Jan 17, 2008 at 1:07:30 am

My absolute go to system is the Lectrosonics 411 Digital Hybrid receiver paired with a UM400 transmitter - add a Countryman B6 lav and some quality cables and you've got - in my opinion - the best sounding, most reliable wireless. Just today, I used two sets in some pretty fierce conditions (heavy RF, lots of metal obstruction and stray signals) and not one single dropout in 8 plus hours of shooting. Plan on paying about $4000 per channel for everything.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Best Wireless Mics?
on Jan 24, 2008 at 3:32:23 am

I couldn't agree more. The Lectrosonics 411 actually sounds like it's hardwired!!! I had heard that from someone else and did my own side-by-side comparison. I could not tell the difference! Also, the advantage to going with a digital-hybrid is that you keep the digital audio but send it using an analog carrier which, if you find yourself dealing with a bad RF situation, will at least give you some sort of signial (as opposed to an all digital system where the signial is ether there or it isn't).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]