FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good headphones for monitoring audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Ricca
Good headphones for monitoring audio
on Jan 12, 2008 at 6:07:58 pm

Hello folks,

Recently I've been shooting live concert footage, and I've run into a problem.
I have no way of monitoring the audio coming in to the camera. I've tried just over the ear cans, as well as a friends in-ear system, but both ways I get too much room noise and I can't tell the difference between what I'm hearing.

Has anyone stumbled across, or know of a good brand/type to look into?

Thanks

Christian

Return to posts index

edward  chick
Re: Good headphones for monitoring audio
on Jan 12, 2008 at 7:03:49 pm

I've been using the Remote Audio HN7506 model for all high noise environment shoots.I have used them on drag racing shoots, live concerts, etc.

They are basically helicopter pilot style muffs with Sony 7506 drivers installed. A bit pricey, (300.00) BUT you can hear your audio accurately without bleed through,so you won't have to crank the headphone volume up to compensate for the external noise. More importantly they PROTECT your hearing! Small price to pay for a precious gift in my opinion.
If you are shooting in loud environments frequently, you can or will eventually damage your hearing without proper protection.
My 2.5 cents,
Ed
You can purchase them via TrewAudio.com

Return to posts index

Christian Ricca
on Jan 12, 2008 at 7:27:22 pm

Thanks, I will definitely look into those.

And I absolutely agree with you about protecting your ears.
I wear plugs every time I go to a show period.
Keeps my hearing ok, plus you can her the instruments better.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 13, 2008 at 1:19:11 pm

Hello Christian and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum

Over the ear headphones may still be open back. (vents in the back of the headphones that let sound in).

Closed back headphones like the Sony MDR 7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M50 provide more isolation.

In-ear phones like the etymotic also improve isolation.

Which headphones do you have?

Point #2: Are you recording audio to camera with the on-camera mic?
I don't know anyone who has had a lot of success with trying that in a live venue. You do get the music, but it doesn't sound good because you're mostly recording PA sound and when you move so does the sound field.

Even without PA, you've got problems if you're not using mics and a mixer feeding a camera.

Check out my YouTube link below. One mic on me, one on the guitar, to a mixer to the camera (and in this case) firewire to an apple laptop.

What are you recording?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]