FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speakers to use when mastering for TV

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe McArthur
Speakers to use when mastering for TV
on Jan 12, 2008 at 3:13:42 am

any suggestions on reference speakers to use when setting eq's for final output to television. I'm using KRK's (rocket 5's) right now, and what i hear in my office sound very different than what i hear at home when the show airs. Are there speakers that are the "go to" speakers when mixing for TV?

also . . . any tips for eq settings (frequencies to cut/boost)?

Thanks in advance,
JM

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Speakers to use when mastering for TV
on Jan 13, 2008 at 2:18:18 pm

Hello Joe and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Choosing audio monitors for TV mixing begs at least one question. Are we talking home theater or a five inch speaker (or smaller) mounted in the TV cabinet itself? Mixing for both requires some tricks to get the low end to sound right.

Take your rockets home and see how they sound plugged into your TV. Same? Different?

What's the TV/Cable station doing to your audio before it gets to your set? (hint: a lot)

Placement of the monitors is key. If they aren't in the right place, you'll hear too much or too little bass, midrange or highs. The KRK rockit 5 have EQ switches on the back to compensate for room problems, but they can CAUSE problems if they are set to the wrong position.

So, even if you had the "go to" monitors, if you had 'em in the wrong place in the room or had them tweeked wrong, you'd still be unhappy.

The KRK data is confusing. On the main page, they are described as having 75 watt amps. On the pdf, it's only 15/30 amps. I guess they hope you'll never read the fine print.

And....at the moment, I can't think of ANY audio monitor with a 5 inch woofer that really delivers any low end. The rockit 5 data says it goes down to 55 Hz, but how many dB down is it at 55Hz? Bottom line, you may really need a subwoofer to hear what's going on down in the basement, if you know what I mean.

A reference monitor without calibration is just another speaker that's not telling you the truth. I helped a studio during a transition form older JBL to a big Genelec system some years back. They had the Genelec installed in the same room and the two systems sounded absolutely NOTHING alike!

The engineer/producer called me. He was very worried. They had just spent a lot of money on the new Genelec system and he was unable correlate any of his mixes when listening back and forth on the two monitor systems.

About an hour of placement and electronic adjustment and I got him in the ball park. While what he heard from each system was different, and to be expected, it was close enough for him to make sense of everything.

Maybe you could more completely describe your problem, but I'm guessing it has to do with not having a subwoofer and having the KRK adjustments in a weird position and/or not having them mounted in the best spot.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]