FORUMS: list search recent posts

If you are considering a shotgun/cardioid...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brockett
If you are considering a shotgun/cardioid...
on Jan 7, 2008 at 5:12:42 am

Hi all:

If you are in the market for a shotgun/cardioid mic, we just posted an article that you might find helpful http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

Take a look. I hope that you find it to be an informative read. Let me know if you found the article to be a good resource.

Dan Brockett

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: If you are considering a shotgun/cardioid...
on Jan 8, 2008 at 3:42:26 am

Thanks for stopping by the Cow Audio Forum Dan,

That's quite a lengthy piece you wrote. Very helpful. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you don't mind. I would tweek it thusly;

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jan 13, 2008 at 6:51:15 am

Dan,
Thanks for the great information. I'm glad to see someone include the Beyer 836 in a review; it's hugely popular in the UK but almost unknown here in the states. I just happened to have a friend at Beyer who recommended I try the mic, and as it turned out, it was an good recommendation. In addition to the excellent test that you performed on the mics in your review, I also like to compare the character of a certain boom / overhead mic to that of my favorite lav mic (in most cases a Countryman B6); and I think this is where the Beyer really shines. I have two other mics in your review - well almost - Schoeps Collette and the original Sennheiser 416 - both of which give better s/n ratios, off-axis, and high end response, but the Beyer matches the B6 incredibly well when cut together in post - something many location mixers don't always think about. Although I still use the others regularly, I find the Beyer the go-to mic for most situations.

Again, Thanks for the great article.

System Info - G5/Dual 2 - 10.4.8 - QT v7.1.3 - 8GB ram - Radeon 9800Pro - External SATA Raid - Decklink Extreme - Wacom 6x8

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 13, 2008 at 5:36:42 pm

Hi Will:

I am so glad that you found the article helpful.

That is very good information since I am now working on a lavaliere review article. That is one of the things I would like to test, how well each lav intercuts with shotguns but without having each shotgun back (an impossibility I am afraid), I am not sure how to do tests for that. I guess I can record some of the lav samples with the same voice I used for the shotgun/cardioid tests in the same location and then set up some A/B clips in the timeline and output those for the review.

Yes, the Beyer is a good mic, it did pretty decently in almost all of the tests. They do not market the mic very well here in the U.S., I agree, most users here have barely ever heard of it.

Thanks for the kind words!

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]