COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Pontiac
Recording VO using a Cell Phone
on Jan 1, 2008 at 6:06:32 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum.

We have to record VO over cell phone.

Right now we are using JK Audio THAT-2. Our telephone provider is Vonage (and this is the part of the problem)

We have no problem recording but the audio quality is just horrible.

My question is this, does anyone have any ideas as to another way to record voice over a cell phone? I know radio station do this all the time but cost is an issue.

I know about SKYPE but would like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks, sorry for being on the "wordy" side of things.

JP

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
Re: Recording VO using a Cell Phone
on Jan 1, 2008 at 8:26:08 pm

Well, you could rent a phone interface for not much these days. Gentner and Telos are 2 brands that come to mind (around $70.00 a day in the US). All these internet services ARE cheap, but absolutely unreliable. Why does it have to be from a "cellphone" ?

BTW, if this is truly a "voice over" as in feature/doc narration, what about having the "talent" record from their location and email the file?

Vince

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 1, 2008 at 8:36:22 pm

We record podcasts from phone calls all the time. There is no way it will equal a studio recording. However, if you record through a mixer with some eq, you can make it sound better. Then, in post, denoise the track with any number of noise reduction programs. This will eliminate the line crackle and hum. Compress the signal and eq again and you will get marginally acceptable results. If the program is viewed on the web or with playback units that don't have very good playback capability you may get away with it. Waves has a plug in called BassMaxx (I think) that pyschoacoustically replaces bass making it seem more apparent. We use that, too.

Can you get your talent to a recording studio where they are located? You can monitor their performance over the phone and the studio can email the unedited file to you. That might only cost a hundred or two depending where the studio is located.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jan 2, 2008 at 3:27:46 pm

Johnny,
When you get a chance, can you add information to your Profile on the Cow?
I could help if you were in my area. We don't know where in the world you are.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

John Hatcher
on Jan 31, 2008 at 9:20:14 pm

Ok, I've used Skype along with a program called Vemotion to record calls before. It's great because you can playback audio as well and set it to record only their side of the conversation or both sides.

Quality-wise it's pretty darn good. I can give you a sample if you want of one I recorded.

The problem you're going to run into no matter what, is the mic on the talent's cell phone and how good it is.

But, let me know and I'll send you a sample of what this program can do.

John
http://www.voice123.com/johnhatcher1
352-871-0165

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]