FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio mixing /micking

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffreys48
Audio mixing /micking
on Dec 28, 2007 at 5:32:41 pm

He COWs!

To date my videography is interview style using an HX-G1 from Canon. Here's my dilema. I currently have an AT-897 on camera and it works well but there is a bunch of background noise when I videotape school plays (a sideline).

I was thinking it might make more sense to mount two boom mics in the from rows (left and right stage and (aiming at center stage) and a "flat" type of mic on the floor of the theater or would that just pick up more footsteps).

I would run XLR cables with duct tape to my recording location about 30 rows back and feed the inputs into a field mixer and have the two outputs go into the inputs of the Canon.
Visually, I can make the shot, I am just trying to tighten up the sound.

Is this a good plan? What small field mixer would be best (Sure, Azden), etc. and which mics should I you.

Thanks in advance.

--Jffrey

--Jeffrey

Jeffrey Steinberg
Scarsdale, NY

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio mixing /micking
on Dec 29, 2007 at 7:25:08 pm

Hello Jeffrey and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Shotgun mics don't do well inside unless the space is acoustically treated. Hypercardioids do better in untreated spaces.

A lot depends on how wide the stage is and how much of it the actors use. Can you get closer from overhead or on the floor?

If you don't have enough mics to cover the action, you'll get holes or hotspots in your audio.

maybe 3-5 mics with an auto mixer to turn off (or down) the ones not picking up voices at the moment. The Shure FP410 is a perennial favorite. Four mics, one output. (well, two really, but not stereo.)

You may not know until you try.

Each theater is different.

Using PSM (flat) mic can certainly pickup foot falls. PZM's might work and Sanken makes a boundary that's directional, the CUB-01, so you'll hear less of the audience and more of the actors.

Sounds like you need to do a little experimentation to get the best results.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
Watch Ty play guitar:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]