FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Pro Tools Hardware?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
Which Pro Tools Hardware?
on Dec 27, 2007 at 4:03:34 am

We are about to convert our suite to protools and I'm trying to figure out which hardware to get. We use mainly waves plugs. We are doing audio for video. A typical session would have around say 24 - 30 tracks bussed to 6 stems, each stem having waves eq and compression. On the master would be l3 and compression and maybe some x noise on one track and occasionally a couple of other things.

Haven't decided to upgrade to an intel mac or just keep our power pc dual 2 ghz machine.

Might HD1 be enough for this? I'd appreciate your comments.

Jason

Return to posts index

Roland Heap
Re: Which Pro Tools Hardware?
on Dec 27, 2007 at 8:38:04 am

I, personally, would go for a nice Mac Pro along with an HD1 system. it supports up to 96 tracks and 32 I/O which should be enough according to your spec above (assuming you are talking stereo stems).

The Mac Pro can handle many RTAS plugins easily.

If you like the waves plugins so much then you could also consider an APA-32 firewire processing box, only

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 27, 2007 at 7:16:26 pm

Thanks for that advice. I hadn't considered the APA 32.. I'll look into that. We are more or less married to the Waves plugs because of a huge investment and legacy projects and because it's what we are used to.. are those good reasons?

Can the Waves be run natively? Or is one obliged to run them on the TDM hardware? Seems funny to pay so much money for that PT hardware to get something that is less powerful that what the computer can do by itself.

Thanks for your comments they are appreciated.

jason

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:00:41 pm

Roland's suggestions are excellent. You will also need a Sync IO or equivalent to be locked to video, etc. It also allows you to pull up and down and adjust other timing parameters depending on what you're locking to. You'll need to distribute word clock to your external audio devices. Sync IO generates it or you can use another generator.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 27, 2007 at 7:20:04 pm

Thanks for those comments they are appreciated. I wondered if we could get away without a sync IO since we never lock up to external video. We just use quicktime movies to mix to then export the mix to a file and send it over to the video room (across the hall) where they stripe it on to the master along with the picture. Anyhow that's how we have been operating for the last couple of years (mixing with Digital Performer).

Return to posts index

Roland Heap
on Dec 27, 2007 at 7:35:07 pm

yep, if you don't need to externally sync with anything you can manage fine without a Sync I/O. Obviously you'll need an interface too - I didn't mention that. A 192 I/O, 192 Dig, 96 I/0, or one of the devices that uses the digilink interface (apogee etc...)

Waves can be run natively under RTAS for almost but not all of their plugs - you'd have to see on their website which ones have to be run TDM. You could start with just the HD1 system and see how things go using a combo of both TDM processing on the HD cards and RTAS on the mac pro, then if you need some more power further down the line you could pick up an APA-32 at that stage.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 28, 2007 at 12:01:50 am

THanks Roland. Yeah I was thinking of getting a card and using our Rosetta 200 as an interface.

Regarding the APA hardware that sound like an interesting option. Do you know of anyone having success with it in conjunction with Pro Tools HD?

Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]