FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Post - Dongle Theft - Waves vs. Powercore

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Grizzle
Audio Post - Dongle Theft - Waves vs. Powercore
on Dec 27, 2007 at 2:12:08 am

It takes less time to open a Chevy Suburban with a screwdriver than it does with a key. I've got security video from Houston, Texas to prove it. Lost my new MacBook Pro 17", a 160GB external drive, and 6 hardware dongles. The two that hurt worst were Steinberg Nuendo 4 and Waves Native Diamond bundle. I don't have final word from Steinberg yet, but WAVES is hardcore: $1,800 replacement. At 50% of retail, I expect this is almost 100% of wholesale.

I'm sore at the thieves, and equally sore at Waves. Especially now what I paid for is gone.

Waves bundles are full of iterative and derivative processors. Anybody can bulk up a bundle by including Version 1, Version 2, and Version 3 of the same product.

I'm ready to turn and burn. The Waves copy protection system was onerous anyway. Waves is all about crying the blues on piracy. But their crocodile tears are only for Waves, not Waves customers. Waves specifically opts out of iLok features that protect customers against stolen iLok keys. Thieves who hit customers are a bonanza to Waves.

Insurance & police - yeah, forget about it. Just try to explain that a dongle is worth more than a high-end laptop. And deal with the cop's attitude: "Nobody I know has ever spent more than $1,000 on a laptop computer, but I've never done a theft report on any laptop valued less than $5,000."

OK - I've got to get on with my life. I'm considering dropping Waves altogether, even at $1,800 half price, in favor of a new Powercore X8 Firewire @ $1,500. And Apple Logic Studio ($500) instead of Nuendo ($2,000).

I'm willing to start over from scratch, no access to legacy audio files. Am I crazy?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]