FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio levels on CD's varies

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Grauel
audio levels on CD's varies
on Dec 17, 2007 at 2:56:08 am

I came over here from the vegas forum for some advice. I have various recordings from church recorded on numerous recorders, typically a Minidisk, MA Audio 96/24, and a fostex hard desk recorder.-- all stored on the hard drive as wav files

the program material varies, as with most classical music.

when i take these various archived recordings ( organ music mostly) and burn them to CD .. i realized I have a real mess with various levels. generally the CD is on the low level side. with another cut being way too loud for the more delicate organ registration that was chosen.

The programs available to me are Sony Vegas and cool Edit 2000

I use Nero 6 for burning.

I'll stop here and see if someone can get me on the right track.

Thanks
Wayne Grauel

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Mastering 101
on Dec 17, 2007 at 7:03:27 am

Hello Wayne and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum. Welcome also to the world of Audio Mastering.

I think you have the right tools for the job. Bring all the selections into the same production and put them in the order you want them. Trim the heads and tails of any extra silence.

Using the mix automation, raise the level of the quiet ones. Listen for radical EQ differences and adjust each cut so your ear is not shocked as you listen to the cuts in sequence.

Put a compressor followed by a limiter in the stereo master out and adjust them for no more than 3 dB of gain reduction. Render the files out as 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, interleaved stereo files to a new folder called "Wayne's Fabulous Eccleiastical Enterprise" or something similar.

Done!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]