FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD-RAM cartridge

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ronnyron
DVD-RAM cartridge
on Dec 15, 2007 at 7:08:56 pm

Hello audio pros,
I just completed a shoot on a new TV series. The audio engineer on site gave me DVD-RAM discs that were used to backup and isolate 4-8 mics on set at any given time. Main Mix went to the cameras. The million dollar edit room question is: How can I playback the discs without renting the Fostex Unit? I know it records multitrack wav files, but the actual cartridge doesn't fit in my G5. I had an old G4 that had a DVD-RAM drive but I gave it away. Can the cartridge be disassembled and the disc used in a Superdrive? Is DVD-RAM the same with or without the housing?

I plan on using Logic for any audio fixes, iso, etc.

Thanks.

G5 with Superdrive, Logic Studio, 2GB RAM, Dual 2Ghz.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: DVD-RAM cartridge
on Dec 16, 2007 at 1:42:19 am

I have that drive in an old G4 and about a dozen DVD-RAM discs.

I think I peeked inside once and the "platter" was flexible. I'm guessing you may NOT want to pull the cartridge apart.

Sound Devices, who make the 744T recorder came out first with a DVD-RAM system for off-loading audio from the internal drive. They have since switched to a DVD-R drive. You might ask your sound person if he/she can provide you with a DVD-R instead.

The 744T also uses CF cards. If the files are not too large, that may be another option.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
Re: DVD-RAM cartridge
on Dec 16, 2007 at 3:26:09 pm

Thanks anyway. DVD-R option is too late. We wrapped on the shoot two weeks ago. So I have the DVD-RAM's in house now.
It was recorded on a Fostex 824 (??). Hopefully I won't need them if the mix is ok. I have about 20 DVD-RAM's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]