FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seek advice on multi-channel lavalier system

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Glover
Seek advice on multi-channel lavalier system
on Dec 7, 2007 at 9:29:20 pm

I'm shooting a low-budget comedy feature and I'd like to have 4 lavaliers on the actors - going into one UHF receiver. I looked at Audio-Technica ATW-701 system. (I think it can take up to 8 mic transmitters.) But before I buy I would love some suggestions.

I'm looking for a good multi-input (4 or more) lavalier system for under $1000 (including mics, transmitters, everything). Does this exist?

(FYI: I shoot on an HVX200. Also, I have two sennheiser shotgun mics which I will use. I shot the last feature with only the shotguns, no lavs and it worked pretty well except for too much room noise in a couple scenes.)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Seek advice on multi-channel lavalier system
on Dec 8, 2007 at 3:38:59 am

Hello Michael and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

There isn't a way to transmit four, eight (or even two) wireless mics to one receiver. You need a separate receiver for each transmitter. You can, BTW, transmit from one transmitter to several receivers, but that's not what you want to do either.

Why do you want four transmitters to transmit to one receiver anyway?

Think in terms of getting four transmitters, four receivers, and a mixer to combine them. The cheapest 4-channel mixer I've seen is the SignVideo ENG-44.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Dec 8, 2007 at 9:40:45 pm

Ty is right on the money. Many have tried two transmitters to one receiver and all have failed.
I see it all the time where someone has a lav and a second person turns on a hand held mic on the same frequency. Crash and distortion.
It is not pretty specially when it is tied to a PA system for 1000 people at a live event.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
on Dec 10, 2007 at 6:10:46 pm

Don't forget that Sony, Audio Technica and even Azden have dual channel receivers.

The Sonys are pricey, the Azden are in their second version, the first didn't work, don't know about gen two.

The sweet spot is the Audio Technica AT-1800 dual channel series but replace the supplied cheapo mics with Tram, Countryman or whatever.

My set-up is two Audio Technica dual channel receivers, each receiving from two bodypack tansmitters and Countryman mics.

This can feed all four channels of my Sony XDCAM HD F-350 so with just two receivers in a saddlebag over the battery I record four separate, discrete channels with no need for a mixer.

For the F-350, you do need to make or get a Y-cable that adapts the single 5-pin XLR "stereo mic" input on the camera to two 3-pin XLRs.

Tip McPartland

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 10, 2007 at 2:51:37 am

Here is a dual channel system. http://www.zaxcom.com/reality_tv.htm

And here is completely bogus way to record four channels of sound with sync time code in a low budget feature situation but it has absolutely nothing to do with your question.

Let's say you have 1 camera that you're shooting with and it has two channels of sound, but, you need 3 or 4 channels. Run your ch3 and ch4 sound to a second camera, with two XLR (or whatever) inputs. As you begin your roll, aim the second camera at the Time Code readout of the primary camera. In edit, when you lay in the A roll shot, all you have to do is match the time code of the first camera with the time code in the image of the second camera.

If possible, never mix channels in the field.

Take your $1000 and rent a package from Location Sound or another qualified source. We have a 4 channel Sennheiser kit that rents for around $750 for a feature film. Make enough calls and you'll find a good deal. Try some A/V suppliers in your area. Our 4 channel usually goes out on corporate events for $200 a day but we cut deals for the indie film guys.

Good luck

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
on Dec 11, 2007 at 9:28:56 pm

Today I got an e-mail from Tai Audio announcing that Lectro has jumped on the dual channel bandwagon. The dual receiver costs $3,000. But with Lectro shipping this in January I think that dual channel systems have entered the mainstream.

Remember, if your camera has four channel audio, you can use two of these and record four voices (or whatever) with no mixing or combining of tracks.

Tip

Return to posts index

Tip McPartland
on Dec 11, 2007 at 9:29:06 pm

Today I got an e-mail from Tai Audio announcing that Lectro has jumped on the dual channel bandwagon. The dual receiver costs $3,000. But with Lectro shipping this in January I think that dual channel systems have entered the mainstream.

Remember, if your camera has four channel audio, you can use two of these and record four voices (or whatever) with no mixing or combining of tracks.

Tip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]