FORUMS: list search recent posts

hardwiring a lav mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nelsonmay10
hardwiring a lav mic?
on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:01:10 am

I have no idea where to post this, since there doesn't seem to be a pro sound category. I have some cheap Nady wireless lav mics, that I am running into an HVX200 standard DV. I can't afford better mics right now so I have to make do with that I have. I am getting some dropouts and want to know if I can hardwire the lav to my camera XLR input, preamp or mixing board.

I went to a Music store and everything we tried didn't work. basically they tried to run a 1/8 inch mono to stereo adapter into a 1/8" stereo to XLR (high to low impedance) It didn't work.

Would I be able to get a mono 1/8 phone plug and wire it to a Male XLR plug from Radio Shack?

I know I won't have the third line going to the XLR from the 1/8 inch plug, but is there a way to wire this to make it work?

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: hardwiring a lav mic?
on Dec 7, 2007 at 2:19:00 pm

Do you mean:

A) Connnecting the wireless receiver unit to the camera.

B) Connecting just the Lav Mic, itself (no transmitter) into the camera.

If it's B-
If the mic is an electret condenser type, the mic needs "battery power" (1 volt or so) to power its internal amplifier.
That requries more knowledge of the mic itself and some basic electonics parts and experience in wiring.

Just go on eBay and buy an inexpensive wired Lav mic.
Just about any basic mic will be as good as (or better than) the ones suppled with inexpensive wireless units.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]