FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Distance with Sennheiser Wireless Lav

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Old Man in The Garden
No Distance with Sennheiser Wireless Lav
on Dec 3, 2007 at 5:40:14 pm

So I have this EW 100 G2 setup. I've used the receiver to record several presentations, tuning in to the freq that AV has been using.
I can only get about 18"-24" with the kit. I'm needing to pick up my own sound now and I've gotten out the transmitter for the first time. I've checked the squelch, sensitivity, AF out, new batteries, both antennas are unobstructed and vertical. I can't think of anything else to check. Do you guys think it's a bad transmitter? Does Sennheiser make bad transmitters?
My previous knowledge of mics consists entirely of the little hole in the bezel of my old iMac (I know your wincing but that's why I'm here).
Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Chiahawk
Re: No Distance with Sennheiser Wireless Lav
on Dec 3, 2007 at 10:25:51 pm

It's always possible that you have a bad receiver but likely it's just bad interference. In the menu there is a SCAN feature. It will search for open frequencies. Try SCAN then set the transmitter and receiver to the same frequency. Hopefully that will solve your problem. Good Luck! CH

Return to posts index

Old Man in The Garden
on Dec 3, 2007 at 11:08:49 pm

Well, I tried the scan. I had done that before but, while in the studio, not the meeting location, I tried all four channels in all 6 banks, and, while there was a variation of about 1', I got the same results. I'm going to take the set home tonight and see if a 30mi location change has a different effect than one of a few hundred feet.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 5, 2007 at 11:12:42 am

18"-24" means something is ON in the space.

Perhaps there is an existing system in the venue in which you're having problems and they have the gear turned on even though it is not in use.

That happened to me once and none of my wireless worked. I knew they had wireless (another mfgr) they checcked and the darn thing was on. They turned it off. I was fine.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Old Man in The Garden
on Dec 5, 2007 at 5:59:27 pm

Thanks, I'm going to look into that. I work in an office/warehouse building and there's servers and wifi and walky talkys and stuff all over the place. I took the set home and it worked great, even in the parking lot I get much better range than in the building. I'll have to talk to IT to see if they know what's causing the interference.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:09:19 am

I have to second Ty's view. I have G2 units on block "C" 740-776 mhz in Sennheiser speak.
I have been several hundred feet from either talent or as a wireless hop to camera and never had a drop out. I'm talking at Detroit Auto show with literally hundreds of international press and loads of different wireless freqs in one building. I did have to change (freqs) once, because I was stepping on an ESPN IFB to talent:) Even though they have 30mw output; they are pretty solid little units.

The G2s have an incredibly simple scan feature to lock in available frequencies providing
that there is no other RF from other devices (always a variable anywhere you shoot).
Lectrosonics has a TV station lookup table that lists stations and frequencies in the UHF bands.Might be worth a look to see what is on in your area and areas you may be shooting in.

Ed

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Dec 6, 2007 at 12:31:27 pm

A similar challenge happened to me. We had been using a Sennheiser wireless mic system for 6 months without a problem. Come one Monday morning, the system would not work. It turns out that on that Monday, one of our TV stations added a DTV signal. It landed right on the freq that we had been using.
Thank goodness for frequency agile wireless microphone systems.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Dec 6, 2007 at 12:37:02 pm

If you know anyone with a frequency analyser, they can see what is out there in RF land.
We did this a remote location at a Dam site. We needed to make sure that nothing was going to interfere with our systems. That is basically what the scan does on the Sennheiser, it looks for holes in the RF spectrum.
You will be amazed what is out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]