FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio quality of DAT vs DVCAM

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
massachi
audio quality of DAT vs DVCAM
on Nov 25, 2007 at 3:51:15 pm

I am trying to develop a workflow for a low-budget film I'm editing. They shot on super-16mm and recorded the sound on DAT (48 kHz, 16-bit). They didn't sync the sound in telecine because it was too expensive. I have a DVCAM deck to work with in my editing room. So, I thought I could have the DAT tapes dubbed to DVCAM tape (48 kHz, 16-bit, with duplicate timecode) and then digitize the sound from DVCAM into Final Cut Pro, sync it, and start cutting. My question is: if I make sure the dubs are done via a digital signal path, will the quality of the sound on the DVCAM dubs be identical to the DAT originals? Or will the nature of the DVCAM tape stock (or something else about DVCAM) degrade the sound quality?

I would like to use the sound from the DVCAMs as the final sound files. I would just make an OMF file of the edited sound and send it to a real sound mixer for finishing. And I'm hoping that he won't need to conform the sound tracks using the original DATs.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

massachi

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: audio quality of DAT vs DVCAM
on Nov 25, 2007 at 7:02:51 pm

[massachi] "if I make sure the dubs are done via a digital signal path, will the quality of the sound on the DVCAM dubs be identical to the DAT originals?"

Identical, for all intents and purposes, unless there is a technical glitch at some point.

Return to posts index

massachi
on Nov 27, 2007 at 2:25:29 am

OK. Great, so I can have it dubbed to DVCAM.

Next, what's the best way to pulldown the speed of the sound clips without changing the sample rate. I have to pulldown the sound to .01% of the recorded speed in order to sync to the film playing back at 23.98 fps. Any suggestions on the software that does this? Can Soundtrack Pro v. 1.1 do that?

massachi

Return to posts index

massachi
on Nov 28, 2007 at 5:23:10 am

Sorry for the typo on the last post. I meant 0.1% instead of 0.01%.

I have to slow down the sound by 0.1% to sync to the film that was slowed down the same amount when transferred to DVCAM.

Again, any suggestions would be helpful. Soundtrack Pro version 1.1? Version 2? Thanks.

massachi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]