FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need an audio interface...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
merktnichts
I need an audio interface...
on Nov 20, 2007 at 11:10:02 am

Hi everybody!

I already asked this question over at the Final Cut forum - but I think it's better placed here...
I'm working with Final Cut Pro and Sountrack Pro with a Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme PCIe on a PowerMac G5 Dual and I often need to digitize 8-track DTRS tapes via a DA-98. Currently I slave the AES/EBU outputs from the DA-98 through a DVW-A500P to get the audio via the DeckLink card into FCP. The DVW-A500P only has 4 AES/EBU inputs, so I need to digitize my tapes in a 2-pass, time intensive process. I'd also like to be able to output at least 6 tracks to monitor 5.1 sound.
Since I'm using a FireWire 800 RAID would I need a FireWire interface card when the choice falls onto a FireWire audio interface to connect either the interface or the RAID to it?
Is there an audio interface available that would fit my needs?

I know these are rather "huge" questions but I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ingrid

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: I need an audio interface...
on Nov 20, 2007 at 12:45:29 pm

Hello Ingrid,

Wow! You get a "cow" award for inventive routing. :)

Here's something that may solve your digitizing and monitoring problems.

http://renegadelabs.com/products/blue328/

For more questions about the BLUE 328 contact Keith Knudsen at Renegade Labs
keith@renegadelabs.com

Tell him I sent you. He loves this sort of thing.

Please let us know what you find.
Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

merktnichts
on Nov 20, 2007 at 2:57:29 pm

Hello Ty!

Thank you for your response. Forgive me if I should get this wrong but the BLUE328 seems to be an audio mixer only, not an audio interface. I downloaded the brochure and checked the website but I could'nt find any info about connecting the BLUE 328 to a computer...

Regards,
Ingrid

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 20, 2007 at 4:49:58 pm

Hi Ingrid,

Sorry, I thought you'd bring the digital audio in to your computer via the decklink.

My bad.

Ty

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

merktnichts
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:28:14 am

I'm sorry - of course, I could use the mixer to route the AES/EBU Inputs to the SDI out of the BLUE 328 to get the audio into the DeckLink - you were absolutely right, Ty. Thanks again. I'm going to contact Keith Knudsen at Renegade Labs to get some more details.

Regards,
Ingrid

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 21, 2007 at 7:05:36 am

You still get the awrd for creative routing. :)

The Blue 328 is a very nice piece; small footprint, a lot under the hood.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:53:21 pm

Ty,

I have a question here that is similar to the OP. I work with FCP2 and an esata raid on my MBPo via an expresscard 34 adapter. I also have an AJA IOHD that I use to capture Pro Res HQ and for outputs as well. I got an idea to send the video out to my 61' large screen home theatre. I wanted to simply preview my edits until the gong went off and I thought I would send in 6 discrete channels of uncompressed 5.1 surround and use it for monitoring. All is well except the IOHD only has 4 analog outs. It does have however 4 pair of AES digital in and out. My next trick was how to get the aes to analog. AJA also makes a converter that does da ad. I bought two. I realized I could have used 4 analog outs and 1 converter for the other pair but Ichose to take all signals through the same path. My mistake was I thought the converter would take two BNC's in (for each pair) and spit out 4 analog xlr's from the breakout cable supplied. It doesn't taker BNC in. The other end of the breakout cables are the inputs - also xlr. So now I need to get a BNC to XLR to pass a pair each into the xlr breakout cable.

My question is, and I think I know the answer, I need a BNC to XLR transformer to go from 75 O to 110. Is that right? The AJA converter (ADA4) has dip switches on it to set the da or ad, 1/2 or 1 only etc. It also has a dip switch for line level adjustments for PRO vs. COnsumer levels and Hi vs. Low. The guys at AJA wouldn't really comment on my rig. Have you any comments? This is a poor mans 5.1 room setup. Althought all of my equipment is hi end. I just need to get aes to rca. My receiver has external inputs. I'm really jazzed to try this but I don't want to blow anything up!

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]