FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio recording workflow

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FischTale
Audio recording workflow
on Nov 17, 2007 at 11:52:08 pm

I posted a while ago asking for mic recommendations for recording martial arts training and got a helpful response. Now I'm a little farther in my process and need help with the workflow.

We'll be shooting a documentary style reality show based in a martial arts training facility. For video we'll have 3 cameras mounted to the walls on pan/tilt heads, two hand held cameras, and another operator in another room controlling the three wall mount cameras.

For audio, we'll have a lav or two on the trainers, a boom and parabolic, and I'd like to hang some mics at strategic locations throughout the main training area where people tend to congregate so we can pick up dialog there.

First of all, does anyone have suggestions on what type of mic to use for that last scenario? There is drop ceiling everywhere so it would be easy to hang something. What about those discreet little mics you see above choirs in churches?

Also, how should we record all of this? Should we run it all to cameras so it will be synced? That seems tough because it would be harder to monitor and route. Should we bring it all to one computer and record to seperate tracks in an audio program? That seems like it would make post production very difficult because we would constantly have to sync everything up.

I've never done a shoot with this much audio. How do shows normally do it?

Thanks very much for reading this. I appreciate any input.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Audio recording workflow
on Nov 18, 2007 at 5:26:04 am

I would get a master timcode generator, and sync all the cameras and the audio recording to the master. Yes, I would record all my audio tracks into a multitrack recording device, one that can accept timecode. Yes, it will be a pain to route all the audio and TC, but it will be worth it. You can hang mics, but don't expect miracles. A second boom would be better.

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Nov 18, 2007 at 6:21:23 pm

Thanks for the help. I just have no experience in organizing so many audio sources. Do you have any suggestions on what to look for in a TC generator? We will be shooting on HVX-200s.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Nov 19, 2007 at 2:33:56 am

Adam,
When are you going to do a test?
Give me a call and if I am open, I would be glad to help with the first test.
Later,
Ray Palmer

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Nov 19, 2007 at 2:51:05 am

Thanks Ray! This project just got fast-tracked so it will probably be in early December. I'll give you a call soon to tell you all about it. I can surely use your expertise!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]