Orchestra Shoot Ends Very Successfully
Two months ago, I mentioned my dealings with a SM in regard to setting up an orchestra shoot, but we resolved the problems amicably and I got 100% of what I wanted. The result was something that pleased the orchestra management beyond their wildest imaginings:
The project involved 7 channels of sound, five up front and a secondary 'balcony mix' in stereo, plus the usual camera audio, as a synch aid.
We flew a proprietary array of phase-locked microphones over the 4th row center at 18' up, using 100' of aircraft cable stretched from one side of the auditorium to the other and tethered to the balcony light poles from the back.
We used three HDV cameras to shoot it. One fixed and locked off on the conductor, another at stage right and one in the balcony.
Below are some excerpts taken at various stages of the rough editing:
All in all, the concert went extremely well, and all equipment ran without a glitch.
Multi-camera editing in Premiere CS3 was a breeze, once I fixed several A/V synch glitches in the camera tracks, due to what I am told is a known problem with CS3 capture. The A/B/C roll cutting was fast and easy to do on our quad-core system and the overall project went quickly.
Presently we are working on menu designs for the DVD. Audio CDs are finished and out the door. Window dub went to the client yesterday. We should be completed with the DVD by end of month.
The concert represents a big, huge success story for Adobe products, of which Premiere, Illustrator, AfterEffects and PhotoShop were all involved in making of this product. It also represents a successful achievement of our microphone array design goals. All involved are extremely happy with the resulting recordings.
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 15,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!