FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio board countertops

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Robinson
Audio board countertops
on Oct 11, 2007 at 2:27:53 pm

My church is getting a new audio room and after dealing with the contractors to get the equipment, the committee has now asked me what counter tops I want. I really don't know if there is a particular material to use or to shy away from. I thought that the architect had already planned out the room and I was just going to walk in and use it. Well NOW they have come to me. And I am only a user of the audio board. I am by no means a professional sound board operator. I just do this for my church. Would love to know more. But that is why I come here to the COW. They want to save money, obviously, so they would like something to be built by another person in my church. We are looking at formica, wood, metal, etc. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Scott Robinson
President
Take 2 Productions, Inc.
http://www.take2productionsinc.com

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Audio board countertops
on Oct 11, 2007 at 8:46:03 pm

It really doesn't matter in the "technology" aspect.

Formica (or other laminate surface) won't get water-stained or gouged with normal use.
Its inexpensive and durable and there are many beautiful "looks" available.

If you want a "piano finish" (high-gloss deep-wood richness) that can be costly and delicate.

Those are two extremes and there are other options in-between.

Just pick one that suits.

Return to posts index

Scott Robinson
on Oct 12, 2007 at 8:58:05 pm

I just wanted to make sure that there was not an ideal material to use or not. Some of the plans that were made for this room were really looked down on by the contractor installing the equipment. I just wanted to cover my bases. I was just wondering if glossy would interfere visually, if wood would "sound" better in the room over formica. Those types of things from the people who work in these sounds rooms everyday. Thanks for your answer. I realize that I might be over thinking this room, but after the tongue lashing we got from the contractor/supplier of equipment, I really just wanted to double check everything.

Scott Robinson
President
Take 2 Productions, Inc.
http://www.take2productionsinc.com

Return to posts index

Matte
on Oct 13, 2007 at 10:47:48 am

[Scott Robinson] "eI realize that I might be over thinking this room, but after the tongue lashing we got from the contractor/supplier of equipment, I really just wanted to double check everything."

Any contractor who would hand out a "tongue lashing" to a paying client surely would have no qualms about espousing which countertop they would favor.

Why not ask that contractor?

Return to posts index

Scott Robinson
on Oct 13, 2007 at 1:51:17 pm

It really wasn't that bad. But he did point out to those in charge that they should have contacted the audio contractor and made them a part of the design plan. things like glass windows in the sound booth presented problems. And those in charge just want to keep costs down. So I don't think they want to ask the contractor because he might try and sell them on the "right" countertops. I just wanted to get a second opinion on it. I wasn't brought in either on the design plans. So some are just saying make it happen.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Oct 13, 2007 at 2:13:33 pm

Sounds like a "git 'er done" situation.

I'd go with a durable Formica top.

If you decide you do want to "soften" it later, you can always add a thick "tablecloth" or cut-to-order table padding.

Don't sweat it, if those responsible don't give a whit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]