FORUMS: list search recent posts

Behringer mixer a good buy?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aprildentist
Behringer mixer a good buy?
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:27:06 am

Well, I'm nowhere near an audio professional which is why I came here to see if I could gain some knowledge from people who are!

I have a Panasonic DVX100 and am starting to get a lot of requests to shoot bands in bars/clubs. I am trying to figure out how to get the best audio with my small budget - the only accessory I have is a Rode shotgun mic (no XLR adapter, no wireless mics, etc.).

If the club cannot provide me with a recording off of their system, which is what some have suggested, I am wondering the next best option? I also have a consumer Panasonic GS120, so if I need to dedicate one camera just to audio I can.

Options people have suggested:
1. Hook up to bar's sound board - need a very long XLR cable and adapters; downside is being tethered down
2. Behringer mixer $45 - unsure why to go this route, as opposed to #1?
3. Other suggestions?

Thanks,
April

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: Behringer mixer a good buy?
on Oct 8, 2007 at 5:20:38 am

Doesn't the DVX100 have xlr inputs? If so, you don't need an adapter. A good mixer is a plus. The feed from a house board might be camcorder friendly or might not. A good mixer could take that feed and give you a signal that your camcorder likes. Wired connections are usually more reliable than cordless and certainly cheaper. But if you need to be free you could run a wire to your mixer and then send a wireless signal to your camera. read this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/30/857342.

Buy: http://www.amazon.com/Producing-Great-Sound-Digital-Video/dp/1578202086

You might consider a digital recorder that you can sync to your video in post. Either way it would be a good idea to have an audio pro in charge of the audio so you can concentrate on the video image. Someone with headphones on and an eye on the meters needs to adjust the signal. Your best bet is coming off the house board. Otherwise you are dealing with a complex problem of mic placement and a lot of gear. I'm not an audio
pro either. But I have recorded concerts and audio is by far the hardest part to get right.

Good mixers do not cost $45.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Matte
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:30:21 pm

"Good mixers do not cost $45. "

I think this is similar to, if the the, actual mixer in question.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-802?sku=631263[eyecamiam]

I have 3 of 'em and they work just fine.
Surprising, really. (Read the consumer reviews.)

I also have Mackies and Shures and...

My suggestion to the OP is that if the bands want good recordings (with good audio,) don't shoot them LIVE in the club.

Alternately, set up a "session" (in the daytime at an empty club, or elsewhere and get the audio mix right... then shoot the video while syncing to the perfected audio track.

The LIVE situation (without a dedicated audio pro... mixing specifically for the recording) will always be "iffy" at best.

Return to posts index

Matte
Here's the proper LINK-Behringer mixer
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:32:57 pm

Here's the proper LINK-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-802?sku=631263

Wouldn't an EDIT POST feature be useful...

;-)

Return to posts index

Matte
Here's the proper LINK-Behringer mixer
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:33:05 pm

Here's the proper LINK-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-802?sku=631263

Wouldn't an EDIT POST feature be useful...

;-)

Return to posts index

aprildentist
Re: Here's the proper LINK-Behringer mixer
on Oct 8, 2007 at 3:17:23 pm

A peer uses a $45 Behringer mixer from B&H and he says it's been great.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, very helpful! I will sort through all of the suggestions and see what I can come up with.

One follow up question - I don't think I'm going to be able to go wireless, so I was thinking of just leaving my DVX100 stationary, hooked up either directly to the bar's system or to a mixer, and then using my other camera to capture footage? Am I missing any red flags in that scenario?

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: Here's the proper LINK-Behringer mixer
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:19:29 pm

[aprildentist] "Am I missing any red flags in that scenario?"

(In the biggest Font that I can use, Bold with Undlerline)
Have someone monitor the audio at all times!!!!
It will be tough. The room will be noisy but NEVER leave a recording camera without someone you trust and can fire later, on head sets.
The most often asked question is "how do I repair distorted audio?". It might start out great but during the event, someone is going to move a fader or adjust an aux send to you and if you or your partner is not on headphones, it will burn your recording.
It is strange but during the shoot, everyone is worried about video but after the shoot, everyone is focused on the audio.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 9, 2007 at 1:03:22 am

[Matte] "My suggestion to the OP is that if the bands want good recordings (with good audio,) don't shoot them LIVE in the club.

Alternately, set up a "session" (in the daytime at an empty club, or elsewhere and get the audio mix right... then shoot the video while syncing to the perfected audio track.

The LIVE situation (without a dedicated audio pro... mixing specifically for the recording) will always be "iffy" at best."

This is very true.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]