FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless out from mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
newbee33
Wireless out from mixer
on Sep 19, 2007 at 11:11:55 pm

hello, i often shoot dances in a hall. The problem is the reverby sound from the band being in one side of the room and using an on camera mic, so, i want better audio. The band often has a mixer (i dont know if they'll let me use line out), but if they do, what is the most basic mic i can use for this (wireless i presume), to send the audio to camera and receive good audio no matter where i'm in the hall.

any other options? i was thinking of using a seperate recorder, but of course would be a pain trying a sync a 6hour tape.

suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Wireless out from mixer
on Sep 20, 2007 at 1:08:15 pm

I have an Audio Technica AT100 wireless with a plug-on transmitter. I come out of a mixer, thru a line to mic level adapter to the transmitter. Usually hang the transmitter on a light stand to get it up high. This gives great audio without cables. I'm not a fan of wireless for wireless sake - better to run cables if you can and forget the headaches. wireless is line of sight, the band (or other outside sources) may have interfering frequencies (you can do all the testing at rehearsals you want, but when the show begins that's when you know if you have a problem... so have a backup plan.) Also be aware of the competency of the sound guy, you probably don't want the same mix he's sending to the house PA system. Can you maybe pull from an aux mix bus that YOU setup before hand?
Steve

Daily affirmation: computers are our friends.

Steve

Return to posts index

newbee33
on Sep 21, 2007 at 3:26:17 am

thanks for the info. that was exactly my concern....wireless...interference.

i was thinking of doing double system but its gonna be a pain syncing everything. i dont trust wireless for this situation but i may try it anyways on one channel and leaving the on camera mic on as a backup for the second channel.

thanks

Return to posts index

The Audio Synthesist
on Sep 22, 2007 at 12:00:53 pm

why don't you just record the audio seperately. sure it will take more work and editing but you can sync it all up with a simple clap. as soon as the camera's rolling and the audio recorder is recording just make a loud clap that the camera can see and that can be heard on the recording. later, in post production, you can sync the audio of the clap to the visual image on your video.

.:the.audio.synthesist:.

Live Sound
Audio Synthesis
Music Production
Pro Tools Certified Operator 6.x
Audio Post-Production for Visual Media

http://www.myspace.com/theaudiosynthesist

Return to posts index

newbee33
on Sep 24, 2007 at 2:55:26 am

exactly what i was thinking, the only problem i suppose is that you cant stop rolling between when the band goes to break, dinner, etc. unless there's a new sync reference at every scene change, that can be seen and heard.

i do own the SD 702TC and a clappboard. I was thinking of just clapping once at the head and just keep rolling non stop, except for tape change and manually sync it, which as you know is gonna be best sounding.

thanks

Return to posts index

dpdenver
on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:51:41 am

you can sync anytime you want - just do it using the wave format of the audio - almost always easy to find a sync point.

Colorado Liquid User Group meets 3rd Tuesday every month.

Return to posts index

HowDoYouDoThat
on Oct 3, 2007 at 4:43:48 pm

Newbee:

Are you shooting from a fixed position or handheld?

Hard wire is the best option but (ONLY) if you can dress the cable and keep it out of harms way. You have to take liability into consideration whenever your running cables in public. People tend forget the business side of things. People do sue over getting tripped.

If your hand held, then wireless is your only option. A good affordable choice is the Sennheiser ew100ENGG2. They have 1440 channels so frequency issues are less. Meaning you're sure to find a frequecy that works. If you go with this option remember to carry adpators. Line to mic pads, XLR barrels (male and female) and 1/4-inch to XLR's (male and female) as lots of mixers have their XLR outs tied up (or they don't have them) and the only option sometimes is 1/4-inch out put. Oh and remember to get the pre-amp feed, so you have clean audio.

I have been shooting for over 20 years and have always been able to do wireless in most these situations. Another quick option (if mixer won't give you a feed) is to hang a dynamic mic off a monitor in the room. Not great, but it works.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Oct 3, 2007 at 10:23:28 pm

Another important thing to consider is that you should make sure you're covered with copyright licenses. The venue probably pays ASCAP/BMI/SESAC and has performance licenses for most/all the songs played/performed. But you also need a sync license when the music becomes part of a video. If the music is original, you need an agreement from the band.

Here's a good article by the COW's own Douglas Spotted Eagle on the subject. He's not a lawyer (me neither), so don't take this as 100% iron-clad.

tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]