FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching audio from two shoots

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flowmotion
Matching audio from two shoots
on Sep 14, 2007 at 4:40:16 pm

Hi, I'm an editor that would like to understand audio better! I have a 30 second spot I'm working on. Most of the audio is VO which was recorded in a sound booth as mono. However, there is a clip at the end which was recorded as stereo in a green screen studio. The two recordings sound completely different even though they are the same voices. The stereo clip is much more expansive, dynamic and present, if you will. It sounds better than the mono to me. I could mix the stereo down to mono and try to deaden it to match the other, but I'd rather liven up the mono if possible. Does this make any sense?

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Matching audio from two shoots
on Sep 14, 2007 at 11:48:16 pm

One method-

Deaden the "live" track (only use ONE of the "stereo" tracks, using both will be a disaster) as much as you can (noise gate might help.)
Then edit the whole program together.

Then go back and add a bit of tight, clean reverb (if you have a good reverb filter or box) to the whole edited track.

If this doesn't work, you might want the actor to re-voice, re-sync (ADR) the wider shots in the booth.

Return to posts index

Flowmotion
on Sep 15, 2007 at 12:31:45 am

Thanks for the response!

What will the reverb do for the voice track? And, if they were to record again, what could they do differently to make it better?

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Sep 15, 2007 at 1:04:11 am

This is a short spot. Can you have them do all of the audio again? Record the VO and then have them ADR the studio shot using the same mic and booth. Job done.

Keep it tight and record in a quiet environment, not the studio. You can add presence but it is really tough to remove it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]