FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adventure film audio question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy
Adventure film audio question
on Aug 27, 2007 at 1:33:05 am

Hi,

For the past three years I've been working on a feature documentary about my search to find Noah's ark in Turkey. http://www.arkhunt.com

I'm returning to Turkey/Armenia in a few weeks with two HVX200's and wondering what you recommend for audio. I've been shooting with a lav mic (Senn ew100 G2) and a shotgun mic (ME66).

There will be occasions when multiple people are in the frame simultaneously. Do you recommend another wireless receiver to mount onto the other camera? It's hard to run a 30ft shotgun mic xlr to the camera when you're in the mountains.

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the current audio gear mentioned above. Any recommendations? I'd like to hear how the audio professionals out there would handle this situation.

Thanks for your time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

john hatcher
Re: Adventure film audio question
on Aug 27, 2007 at 4:36:26 pm

Hi Jeremy,

The Sennies are ok. I'm not totally thrilled with them, but in a pinch they do work ok. Sure, I'd take advantage of that other cam and lav up as many people as you can. I have a Sennheiser MKH60 shotgun mic that works better than the ME66 in my opinion, but budgets are always tight. Another think you could try is if you have the money, you could try to get a Lectro mic Cube and receiver (411 series) so you could wirelessly boom. That' help you out a ton, believe me!

Let me know if you have other questions. Sounds like an interesting project!

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Aug 28, 2007 at 4:56:41 pm

John, Thanks for the great advice! I'm definitely considering the gadget so I can do a wireless boom. Gosh, learn something new all the time. I didn't even know it existed! I've tried searching for it. Which model of these models is it?

http://www.enggadgets.com/s.nl/it.A/id.956/.f?sc=2&category=2309

http://www.enggadgets.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b2a1f434ba01dead38c49a0bcdff...

Also, what model do you recommend I go with for the other lav's?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

john hatcher
on Aug 28, 2007 at 10:54:51 pm

I'd go with the 411 series. Do you have a 411 receiver? They really discontinued the older stuff and if you can find it, it costs the same as Lectro price fixes all their gear.

I like Tram Lav mics and also Sanken COS411 Lavs are good too. The Trams are a little better in windy conditions, but the Sankens sometimes are better with clothing rustle.

Check out customsupply.com they usually beat the other guys on price. I buy most all of my stuff from there. Tell Michelle over there that John Hatcher sent ya if you call them. She calls me every month almost. :) Really good people.

J

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Aug 29, 2007 at 5:22:36 pm

I was checking out some of the Lav mics you mentioned. The Sanken COS11 seems to be a wired mic. Which of the Tram Lav mics do you recommend? Also, I've looked everywhere for the 411 series receiver. Do you know anyone still selling it?

Return to posts index

lee grainge
on Sep 3, 2007 at 11:15:32 am

COS 11 are great. You could also look at DPA 4060 /4061 - Both beautiful warm sound.

I'd certainly get rid of the ME-66 - they do not handle bass as well as say a MKH60 - which I would recommend over a 416 also.

Sound like an interesting job. Hope it all works out for you!

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Sep 4, 2007 at 3:52:57 pm

What transmitters/receivers do I need with those DPA 4060/4061 mics? Are they compatible with all transmitters or is there something specific? Sorry, I'm running out of time before I leave and still don't have any wireless mics. If you can give me a detailed list of mics, transmitters, receivers, cables, etc. that I will need, I would so very much appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help.

Return to posts index

lee grainge
on Sep 5, 2007 at 10:23:05 am

I wouldn't go for any TX/RX that are NOT diversity Radios. When I say Diversity there are two types, Diversity and NON diversity. The latter will give you drop outs at 10 feet + or even worse!!! I'd Say look at Audio LTD or Micron. Not that cheap but worth their weight. I think the SONY and Senheisser aren't that great in terms of quality. both do not use XLR and, or Lemo adapters! They've got their own crappy mini jack inputs.

DPA can be fitted with Lemo pins (my pref.) - When buying a DPA 4060/4061 they come with a P48 converter. You can convert any point into whatever you need! Just stay away from cheap inputs like I mentioned before!!

If you cannot afford DPA then go for COS 11 - get all the extra bits you need, like rubbers clips etc. If you need to hide the MICS look at getting Surgical and Hair tape to stick properly to who ever it is.

If you want a wireless boom MIC get a P48 converter, strap a Transmitter to it and you're off! This will enable you to have a boom MIC without cables. Beware of frequency drop outs though, ie' inside - thick walls and alike.

It all depends on your budget. Any more questions? I'm on here today if you need to mail more.

Lee

Return to posts index

lee grainge
on Sep 5, 2007 at 10:27:41 am

P:S - If you're not sure about all the cables just give a sound hire place a call. This way you can go through it all in one phone call. Try Richmond Film Services. They are very helpful!

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Sep 5, 2007 at 3:57:18 pm

I just found a guy who's willing to sell me his wireless kit. Here's what he's got:

Package Includes:
(2) UCR210D Diversity UHF Receivers (including power supplies)
(2) UM200C Frequency-Agile UHF Belt-Pack Transmitters
(2) UH200C Frequency-Agile Plug-On UHF Transmitter (for non-phantom powered hand held mics)
(2) Lectrosonic M-150 Lavalier Mics w/ windscreens
(1) Pelican 1500 Case

He's asking $3500 for everything. I'm not an audio guy in least of sense, so what do you guys think? I don't think I'll need the UH200C transmitters, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]