FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio and Video out of sync in ProTools!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo Mora
Audio and Video out of sync in ProTools!
on Aug 16, 2007 at 11:06:25 pm

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with ProTools I'm also crossposting to the Media100 Forum.

I'm working on a Media100i v8.1.1, MacOS 10.2.8, 2GB RAM.

I've been working for sometime with a ProTools house using the following workflow:

My video timeline settings are 720x486, NTSC, 48KHz, NON-DROP FRAME.

I record my program to BetaSP and then to DVD with Visible Time Code, I prestripe the tape with sync and time code so it's frame accurate.

I export my audio tracks as AIFF files 16bit @48KHz and then burn them to CDas data not Audio-CD, all my audio tracks have two sync pops at the beginning two seconds prior to the program start (btw all my program starts are at exactly 01:00:00:00).

I send the DVD-Video and the DATA-CD to the ProTools house for sweetening, and it always has worked perfectly every time... until now.

This time the audio tracks are longer than the video by one second and twelve frames, so at the end everything is out of sync, at the beginning of the program everything is okay but at the end it's completely out of sync.

The ProTools guy works as follows: he imports the AIFF files to a ProTools session set at 48KHz, 16 bit, 29.97fps non-drop frame. The he digitizes the DVD via a Canopus card and imports the digitized video to ProTools, it has worked everytime... now it doesn't work.

We've been two days at it, I have redigitized the DVD and the audio files back into Media100 and compared them to my original timeline and everything matches, we've changed the video offset, the pulldown settings and other parameters in ProTools to no avail.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Sorry for the long post and TIA.

Regards,

Jj

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio and Video out of sync in ProTools!
on Aug 17, 2007 at 10:52:05 am

Hello Juanjo,

Have you tried 30 non drop for the audio?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 17, 2007 at 11:01:41 am

Juanjo,

Sorry, I didn't express myself properly.

You don't mention at what frame rate the audio was recorded. Could that be the change?

I think (not certain) that I have read that you're supposed to record the audio at 30 ND during shooting.

Has the Pro Tools guy tried 30 ND?

I am not the final word on this. If no one comes up with an answer, try the RAMPS news group.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
on Aug 17, 2007 at 2:39:51 pm

Hi Ty!

Thanks for your fast response.

The audio comes from a finished Master in Betacam SP that I'm re-editing.

It was digitized into my system at 16 bit @ 48KHz, 29.97 fps non-drop frame... I guess that since it is being redigitized from analog, the original sample rate and speed is non-relevant now? (Not sure).

The people at DUC tell me its a pull-down issue, but the ProTools guy swears that his settings are correct...

I'll try RAMPS and I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Jj

Return to posts index

Juanjo Mora
on Aug 18, 2007 at 12:09:35 am

Well, at last we solved it.

It seems that the pulldown parameter in ProTools was on.

Also I decided to stop working with DVDs and returned to use QuickTime movies for the sweetening sessions, the settings that work better for me are as follows:

Motion JPEG-B, 360 x 240, 29.97fps, single field, non-drop frame, data rate limited to 635 KB/sec, audio track is 16 bits @ 48KHz, uncompressed.

These give me small file size (1 GByte for a 28 minutes program) and good enough quality for doing lip syc in ProTools.

I export the audio tracks from my NLE one by one (I don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]