FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitor setup in recording studio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BigRon
monitor setup in recording studio
on Aug 7, 2007 at 6:48:57 pm

I have recently built a new recording studio in my garage with a MAC G5 Protools setup with two monitors in the control room. I am trying to turn the tracking room into a place to record voiceover with a TV screen so the announcer can read to video. I can bring my video into Protools okay but can't seem to find the correct solution to bring the video to the TV i.e. as if it were a third monitor showing the same video that I see on the control room monitor.

I tried using a DVI splitter in the back of the Mac coming out of one of the DVI ports and I even bought a $300 Radeon 1900 graphics card that had two DVI ports for the monitors and one s-video out (supposedly for the TV)... but I can't seem to make it work.

Can anyone help?

Ron

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: monitor setup in recording studio
on Aug 7, 2007 at 7:55:39 pm

The way we do it is to use a Canopus box. It connects to our computer via Firewire and outputs video to two NTSC monitors - one in the control room and one in the booth. Here's a link http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC110/index.php

Your video has to be NTSC DV video. Then, in Pro Tools you have to select Video Out Firewire in the Options menu. When you play, the video will not appear on your computer screen anymore, but will be output to your monitors via the Canopus box.

You can find a lot more info about his at the Digi User Conference http://duc.digidesign.com/

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 7, 2007 at 8:16:52 pm

Yes as already stated, the duc is the place for loads o this topic.
Personally I do have a Canopus, but prefer to use a Decklink Blackmagic Pro card to output the video. I also can use this to capture from digi beta and it gives me 9pin sony rs422 functionality and is genlockable, so a pro end solution.

Peter

Return to posts index

BigRon
on Aug 7, 2007 at 8:27:51 pm

Actually, I forgot to mention two things....1) We did select the Video Out Firewire option and
2) I do have the Canopus ADVC 100. I did try that also but I may have been doing it wrong.

It sounds like you're saying that the video (after selecting the Video Out Firewire Option) can be routed out (thru the S-video out and the RCA video out on the back of the canopus) to one NTSC monitor in the control room and also to a second NTSC monitor in the tracking room and my two computer monitors will still have Protools working on them. Is this correct?

Is there anything else I need to do to tell the computer to do this? Say, in Preferences or something?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 7, 2007 at 9:06:13 pm

Yes. You should see the video out the S and composite outputs and PTs will remain on your computer monitors. That's the way it works here.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]