FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Tools MP (M-Powered Version)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nessak
Pro Tools MP (M-Powered Version)
on Aug 2, 2007 at 6:34:21 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the M-Audio M-Powered version of Pro Tools. I'm managing a number of workstations for radio journalism students and it has come time to upgrade the lab. I can get a much better price on this version but it is little good if it doesn't work as well and lacks Pro Tools LE features. This would be for Intel Macs.

Also, I'd like to get a controller for these stations. The Tascam FW-1082 is ideal in terms of features/price. Anyone know if I can capture audio into Pro Tools MP with this?

If anything else, can anyone have a recommend a cheaper alternative to the Digi003 controller while still staying in Pro Tools land?

Return to posts index

Danitos
Re: Pro Tools MP (M-Powered Version)
on Aug 2, 2007 at 7:46:13 pm

ProTools M-Powered is identical to LE in every aspect except:

1) it is not available w/Ignition Pack bundle (which you probably don't need)
2) it doesn't support the Control24 control surface (there are others)
3) it doesn't support the DVtoolkit option (not needed for radio production)
4) it doesn't support DigiTranslator (used to import/export OMF files)

All other features should be the same, plus you have many more i/0 interfaces choices w/m-powered and are not limited to Digidesign's pre-amps (you can get higher quality). And it comes w/an i-lok dongle included, which LE does not.

The Tascam FW-1082 does not appear on the supported hardware list (as does any Tascam product), but the NRV10 ($699) is a similar product if you absolutely need a controller + i/o interface.

Video without audio is just surveillance.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Pro Tools MP (M-Powered Version)
on Aug 3, 2007 at 1:40:29 am

Hello Nessak,

I have been an 001 and 002 user for 6-8 years. I am currently evaluating the 003 Factory with work surface. Having come from a knob and fader background I have become quite used to NOT using a work surface. Relearning a hardware controller has been a pain in my butt.

I SO do NOT want a piece of plastic and metal between me and the screen.

Be careful what you ask for.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better productio audio? Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]