FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixer and wireless link to camcorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
mixer and wireless link to camcorder
on Aug 1, 2007 at 8:44:04 pm

I'm looking to buy a little (3-4 IP) mic mixer and radio solution to feed a Sony XDcamHD 350 camcorder.

I'm not experienced with pro audio kit so would value some advice please.

Alan (uk)

Return to posts index

edward  chick
Re: mixer and wireless link to camcorder
on Aug 2, 2007 at 12:01:58 am

Why not avoid the headache and just hire your friendly local sound recordist?:)

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 2, 2007 at 4:24:07 am

I've heard lots of good things about sound devices mixers including the 302. Do a search and read up. about $1400. I use the shure fp33 with good results. If I were to buy again I'd go for the 302.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 2, 2007 at 10:28:26 am

Thanks Guys,

I would do exactly what you suggest Edward except that I work in the medical field and am never given enough time to preplan many of the shoots.

I'll look up the 302, thanks eyecamian

Alan

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2007 at 11:41:29 am

Hello Alan,

So you're expecting to shoot, light and do audio wirelessly from a mixer to a camera?

I don't know where you are, but most sound people are used to working on short notice.

I know a few "one-man-bands" and have been one myself on a number of occasions. There are a few who cling to the idea that there isn't time, there isn't money, there isn't SOMETHING that will allow them to bump up their game.

Equipment, by itself, isn't always the solution. Without the right people helping to cover your butt, you will hit the wall. Some would say you have already hit the wall by not being able to envision a solution that incorporates more people.

When you deploy wireless gear you add a new level of complexity to the job. That level requires that you pay VERY CLOSE attention to the link. Interference of many sorts can interrupt your audio.

RF solutions vary in price from about $500 up. The Sound Devices 302 is a very good mixer. If you pluuged a butt plug mic transmitter into one of its XLR outputs, you could transmit to a receiver mounted on your camera.

If you need both channels, Audio Technica, Sony and Zaxcom make two channel links.

We don't know how you normally operate. Perhaps you could elaborate.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better productio audio? Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. More at: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 2, 2007 at 6:12:39 pm

To add to Ty's advice, you're working in an environment with a lot of medical gear that can cause all sorts of interference. Having an audio pro along makes a lot of sense.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Aug 2, 2007 at 11:11:38 pm

Ty: Amen!

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 2, 2007 at 10:31:58 am

And what about the RF connection?

Alan

Return to posts index

cow
Thax
by
on Aug 3, 2007 at 12:46:27 am

If you want it to WORK, use a wire.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 3, 2007 at 10:09:15 am

Yes there's generally two of us, and yes we're not audio pros, wire always works perfectly agreed, but we could use more flexibility.

Alan

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 3, 2007 at 4:28:50 pm

Hi Alan,

I

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Aug 3, 2007 at 5:24:13 pm

Hi Alan,
It seems like you really want to try the RF route....against all of the pros advice not to....so here is my 2 cents.
a. Make sure you are allowed to use RF where you plan to shoot. I have spent a lot of time in doctors offices/waiting rooms/clinics lately. None allow cell phones to be used. If you can't use a cell phone, then you can't use RF.
b. Do not trust the ENTIRE AUDIO portion of your production to a $600 RF setup. RF mics have come a long way in the last few years, but, as John has said, you could be shooting in a very challenging RF environment. You better get the top of the line Sennheiser or Lectrosonics units, with full diversity and all the other bells and whistles, or you may as well just shoot yourself in the head now and get it over with.
c. Hire an experienced audio person to come in and set this up for you before you shoot with it. You said that you don't have any experience with pro audio. You will have possibly 6 gain stages in an mixer/RF/camera setup. If you don't know how to balance all the ins and outs of all this equipemnt, it will be a nightmare.
d. Be prepared to go wired at all times. Even with the best equipment, set up by the best tech, there WILL, no doubt about it, be times when you can't get this setup to work, or be allowed to use it. Be a Boy Scout.
Those are my 2 cents. What city are you in? I'll be scanning the local papers for news of a local video production team shooting themselves in the head out of frustration.
Peter

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 4, 2007 at 3:15:49 pm

Thank you both very much indeed for the lengthy and interesting posts, they are much appreciated.

I'm currently using Micron and Sennheiser radio mics perectly happily alongside the boompole.

I generally don't need all four tracks kept separate, hence the mixer.

The RF link, mixer-camcorder, would be an added advantage if it works realiably enough. No great distances involved here, just freedom of movement for the guy looking after the sound.

Alan

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 4, 2007 at 6:31:20 pm

Hi Alan,

Two other minor points to consider: RF is line of sight dependent and the orientation of the antennae of the receivers and transmitters ideally should match. Vertical/vertical or horizontal/horizontal.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Aug 5, 2007 at 8:23:17 am

Thanks eyecamiam

I'm reasonably experienced with practical radiomic use. Actually it's more guidance on setting up a bullet proof RF link between the mixer and camera that I'm seeking. ie relative power levels, manufacturers and model differences.

Cost's not so much of an issue but I'll only have one bite of the cherry so needing to know where to start, I'd much prefer the guidance of users and pros to start with before going to the dealers.

It'll mainly be feeding my PDW350 and I'm based in London(UK)

Cheers Alan

Return to posts index

Matte
on Aug 6, 2007 at 4:06:23 am

I have never ever left a shoot regretting connecting the audio via a cable.

I HAVE left many shoots asking why the heck the RF was noisy only on the KEEPER takes.

RF is an iffy proposition under the most controlled and "clean" (free of other RF) conditions.

In an environment of other sources of RF (computers and medical gear) and lots of metal cabinets and stands...

OMG, don't do it!

Why on earth would you need to?

Just use a longer cable for your audio-to-camera link... and enjoy life!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]