FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good field recording solution

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dougcarraway
Good field recording solution
on Jul 12, 2007 at 2:20:34 pm

I work with a university production group and we've been using little Edirol R-1 and now R-09 portable field recorders to record events/meetings that are mostly getting posted as podcasts. We've had a couple of recordings go bad now. It monitors fine while recording, but playback sounds like digital gibberish. Seems that there's no user error involved, but that it just does this periodically. Setups are simple...a few mics into a mixer, out to the mini input on the recorder.

I haven't really been able to reproduce the problem, though when the mini connector isn't plugged in all the way, it does give a similar result. But I don't think that was the issue since it monitored fine.

So, first if anyone has any insight into this problem, please inform. And secondly, is this kind of digital file corruption just as likely in a higher end field recorder, or would we get more consistent results from a more pro product? Our current solution is to have redundant recordings until we figure out the exact problem.

We could consider DAT solutions etc. as well, but the convenience of recording in our final output format is convenient.

Thanks for any insight.

Doug Carraway

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Good field recording solution
on Jul 12, 2007 at 3:52:42 pm

I have limited experience with Sony Hi-MD recorders. They work pretty well, given their delicate parts.

I am a registered Sound Devices 744T user. It's built like a masonry mammlian stinkpot.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]