FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why "Bounce" takes so long?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddie
Why "Bounce" takes so long?
on Jul 10, 2007 at 2:13:23 pm

I have a background in video, but am new to audio recording. I work for a medical company who is turning certain titles into audio products. (Who can resist the urge to study medical terminology with an ipod at the beach after all?)

I'm out of my element here and wondering why it takes so long to "bounce" the files in the studio. I have no way of verifying this time, obviously. How come I can render video + audio so quickly, but professional audio is taking HOURS and HOURS to churn wav files? We are paying a special rate for this time- half of standard recording/editing time, yet I am stumped by it.

Is there a typical bounce ratio to finished minutes? Why does it take so long?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Why "Bounce" takes so long?
on Jul 11, 2007 at 10:29:14 am

Bounce to disk or mix to disk is a rendering process that happens in real time. You have a number of different tracks of audio and maybe some effects and the total length is 5 minutes of audio? Your bounce time should be 5 minutes. Mixing of multiple audio tracks and rendering effects take some time.

Simple file conversion can be done more quickly than real time.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

studiomusic
on Jul 12, 2007 at 2:26:21 pm

Yep, and Protools will ONLY mixdown with a bounce to disk... no faster than realtime with TDM.

Return to posts index

peter Groom
on Jul 13, 2007 at 7:33:00 pm

Either, your background in video provides you with enough expertise to go off and do this process yourself for free, or it doesnt. If it doesnt then you will have to stick to the studios deal that presumably youve agreed to wherein theyve advised on the best way of getting to the end result.

There are 2 types of people in this world.
Those who wear suits, have meetings, then see who can actually do it for them -
and those who just do it.

Peter

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 16, 2007 at 1:17:42 am

Final Cut will export a wav or aiff file much faster than real time.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

studiomusic
on Jul 16, 2007 at 1:28:43 am

Protools will export a single file faster than real time, but not a mixdown.
Will Soundtrack do a mixdown (more than 2 files mixed together) faster than real time?

I know Sonar and Cubase will... don't know about Soundtrack...

With the new frequency editing (like Audition) and faster than realtime mixing (if it does), I might have to upgrade to the new Soundtrack Pro!

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Jul 16, 2007 at 10:08:03 pm

[peter Groom] "There are 2 types of people in this world.
Those who wear suits, have meetings, then see who can actually do it for them -
and those who just do it."

I started out as a DO IT guy.

Then, I wore the suits and attended the meetings for a year or two.

Never again.

Just hand it to me, and I'll DO it.

Return to posts index

joybringer
on Aug 21, 2007 at 4:18:00 pm

I am undoubtedly way out of my league here, but I am searching for this answer, "Why is my audio editing taking so long?"
For example, all I am doing is either highlighting and deleting what I don't want OR dragging and dropping what I do want.
I work at a good pace, but trying to put exact time into perspective, here is what I did today: for 2.5 hours I worked on the editing. I began at marker 1:02:22 on the original and at 34:03 on the one I am dragging and dropping to. When I quit, I was at 1:05:44 and 36:04 respectively. How can this even be possible? I would farm it out if I thought someone could do it for me at this point!
Any help will be quite hugely appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 21, 2007 at 7:35:51 pm

This is very subjective. There have been times where I have spent 30 minutes on a single edit getting it just right. Other times I can blast through many edits in a short time. I've just finished a rough edit of a podcast for a company where we recorded a roundtable discussion. The final rough length is 12:30. It took me five hours.

You did three minutes in two and a half hours. To me, that's not out of line, particularly, if you had to work with each edit to get what you want. If you're just starting out, you will get faster. It's best to know your editing application really well and be able to take advantage of your keyboard shortcuts, etc. That will improve your editing productivity.

John

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

joybringer
on Aug 22, 2007 at 7:38:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement, but I don't understand how most people are doing one hour of editing in two hours when I can't get through a few minutes. It just doesn't make sense to take this long. It is just an interview which I know well.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 22, 2007 at 2:02:56 pm

Describe what you're doing in a bit more detail. Do you have a transcript of the interview or a log sheet with edits marked? How many edits are there in an hour show? Are you doing really detailed edits like adjusting pauses, removing breaths and mouth noises, adjusting pacing, or just removing bad takes? Do you playback at 2x or 4x (or greater) speeds?

When I'm working from a script with marked edits, then I can move fast. Doing one hour of material in two hours is possible. It's really based on number of edits and whether you have to think about the edit. Making a simple edit where you delete a marked bad take should take 15 to 30 seconds. If you have to think where to make the edit, it will take longer. If you have 60 edits which take 30 seconds each that's 30 minutes. Of course you have to add in the time it takes to listen to the track and you also have to breathe.

John

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50

Return to posts index

joybringer
on Aug 22, 2007 at 6:41:27 pm

Thanks, John, for your interest and help. I keep it simple. I have a few audios of varying length and merely want to delete the long silences or where a phone call came in the middle of the interview. I am also deleting out stutters or words repeated. I am only listening, highlighting, deleting.

Then I have also tried to speed it up by dragging and dropping what I want to keep thinking it might be faster. It still is taking just as long.

I am really stumped by this and frustrated because time is money which is flying in the wind right now. Thanks!

Bea Vanni works with non-fiction authors, educators & consultants who want to gain more visibility for their work and create remarkable solutions for their business challenges. Learn more and get a courtesy consult at http://www.remarkablesolutions.com.
Read my blog perspectives on Turkey at
http://www.remarkablesolutionsblog.com.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 22, 2007 at 7:15:33 pm

What editing application are you using? If I was removing a space in Pro Tools, I'd select the space by clicking and dragging then hit delete and Pro Tools would delete the space and suck up the ends to eliminate the hole. Same thing would happen with a stutter. Highlight the region from the first instance of the word to the start of the second instance of the word and hit delete.

John

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]