FORUMS: list search recent posts

More basic audio effects with premiere :)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jjmoldes
More basic audio effects with premiere :)
on Jul 6, 2007 at 11:48:01 pm

Hello there,
hope u guys can help me out here.

This is the situation.
I have the 2 actors walking around an empty flat, they walk away from the camera through a corridor.
I recorded the voices separately, so now I want to put them in that moment where my actors are at the end of the corridor.
I work with Adobe Premiere 1.5, also with the sound.
I`ve tried and played with the highpass and lowpass a bit, but i dont seem to get the effect i want.
Empty flat, so a bit of echo and also the sense of distance from the camera so it matches with the actual audio of the scene (walking and moving).
If you guys have any ideas please be kind to share your wisdom a poor amateur filmmaker :D

JJ,
Montreal

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: More basic audio effects with premiere :)
on Jul 7, 2007 at 2:31:36 am

Well, you really need a sophisticated reverb to be able to dial in the parameters to make it sound realistic. One that will replicate a small room and allow you to adjust reflections (including early reflections) and eq shaping.

I suppose if you want echoes you could simply duplicate the audio onto additional tracks (maybe 4). Nudge each audio file 3 frames (or so) from the previous track so that the echo occurs every 3 frames. Adjust the volume of the last track to where it's barely audible then stairstep the volumes from the first track to last as equally as you can. This will give you your echo (but not your early reflections or your short reverb tails).

The most realistic (in your situation) would be to find an empty hallway. Playback the voices from a speaker situated at one end and place a mic at the other end (approximately the same distance as camera). Playback and record and you have your ADR.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Jul 7, 2007 at 6:42:51 am

I'm not sure that a slap echo with a 3-frame travel time will really convey the accoustic space of an empty flat.

A combination of reverb processing and subtle EQing would be the simplest in-studio method of adding perspective to dry ADR. Of course, your success will largely depend on the quality of your reverb plugin. Cheap reverb algorhythms tend to draw attention to themselves, so consider investing in a good impulse reverb plugin.

"Worldizing" (ie. re-recording the ADR played back in an accoustically live space) is another option, although you'll need a very accurate playback and recording combination to avoid your tracks sounding like they were re-recorded. Worldizing is generally better suited to those situations where the colouration of the playback system is a part of the desired sound (eg. car stereos, telephones, PA systems).

Its unfortunate that ADR is rarely recorded with appropriate accoustic perspective.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jul 8, 2007 at 12:33:32 am

Stephen,
You give good advice but I think you are misreading what I wrote. I never indicated that a simple 3 frame (100 ms) echo would accurately convey the acoustic space of an empty flat. If you re-read my post I said first off that he would need a sophisticated reverb that allows adjustments of many parameters (early reflections and eq shaping). Secondly, I addressed what JJ asked for: echo. I explained how to achieve a basic echo, but indicated that it would do nothing for early reflections and reverberation. Also, a 3 frame (100 ms) echo (repeated 3 or 4 times) would be a good starting place to achieve what you might hear in a corridor (not the flat itself). However, it's only a starting point and would need to be tweaked to get closer to realistic. The intent was not to say "this will work perfectly", but rather "this is what you can do with what you have". Perhaps I should have been clearer. Part of becoming a good engineer/mixer is knowing the limitations of the tools at your disposal.

Stephen makes very good points regarding "worldizing" the audio and properly recording ADR to start with. I agree whole-heartedly and should have been clearer regarding "worldizing" and the need for accurate playback.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Jul 8, 2007 at 1:01:23 pm

Sorry, Rodney, I misread your post.

Return to posts index

Jjmoldes
on Jul 9, 2007 at 7:18:16 pm

thanks guys, u gave me some ideas about effects i didnt even consider before

cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]