FORUMS: list search recent posts

outdoor mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dana lavoie
outdoor mic
on Jul 2, 2007 at 8:29:42 pm

I'm shooting 77 drummers this weekend outdoors and I'm looking for what would be the best mic to use. The drummers will be set up in a spiral and not on a stage, micing each drummer is out of the question. I have looked into renting this mic.
http://gothamsound.com/main.shtml?page=catalog&scmd=DISP&itemid=SHOLOH2PRO

now i'm looking for other solutions or options.

this will be a 5 camera shoot

Return to posts index

gizmo1160
Re: outdoor mic
on Jul 3, 2007 at 12:48:38 am

Many years ago i did a military tatoo very similar to this with great results.
I assume the camera positions are
1. High wide shot
2. High tight shot
3. Lower/ground shot
4. Portable (left side)
5. Portable (right side)
My mic suggestions are: ALL condenser mics cardiod or short shotgun pattern placed on high stands (at least 2-3m high).

* 1 or 2 mics(if you also want to go front /back) on stands on left side.
* The same again on the right side
* A stereo mic or crossed pair on a stand in the front centre.

You might also want to add 1 or2 stereo mics for crowd fx.

You will need to mix all mics with at least 10-12 channel desk.
This will give a good overall mix of the event.
The mixer o/p is then fed to L+R of Cam 1 & 2 and a backup audio recorder
Cams 3,4,5 need to record audio from their own good quality condencer mics, either mono or stereo to be added to the overall mix in post production or via cables if you are doing this as an Outside Broadcast.
This all sounds a bit daunting but you will love the results.
The mic you have indicated in the link would sound good if placed high in the CENTRE of all the drummers about 6-10m high.. this might work if you are in an indoor stadium, but if its your only mic outdoors not so good.
I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:06:51 am

six to ten meters high?

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

gizmo1160
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:02:52 pm

OH YES 6-10m high.. As the band has 77 drummers it would be approx 20-25m or more wide ..then have a look at the width of the polar pattern of the mic being used, this will determine the height! if to low you wont get the drummers on the sides, their level will be much lower than the centre drums thus not achieving a natural balance....when overhead micing of bands you MUST maintain the natural balance between ALL sections of that band.
Live accoustic bands must be handled VERY differently than "modern day electronic bands"
And yes you may claim this style of micing will add to noise floor... but 77 drums is going to be %#*$! loud...the s/n ratio is the least of your concern.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jul 3, 2007 at 1:24:07 am

Is this a drum corps type thing (marching band) or something else?

Here's a thought if you are going to shoot this with 5.1 surround in mind. You could put up 2 stereo mics - 1 in front of the spiral, 1 in the rear. These would be your L&R front & rear surround sources. The center channel would be the camera mic for whatever camera you are using for that shot. However, this might create some phase issues having a close mic and a far mic mixed on the fronts. I don't know. Something to think about.

I would probably put some quality mics on the cameras (Sanken, Sennheiser, Schoeps, take your pick). For the stereo mics, you might consider renting two Schoeps MSTC 64Gs if you can get them. They use the ORTF stereo mic pattern which gives a little less prominent center image. I'm thinking this might give you some space to sneak those camera mics up in the center when needed. Maybe just use the MSTC 64G for the front and then use a spaced pair or even a VP-88 on the rear.

Return to posts index

dana lavoie
on Jul 3, 2007 at 1:32:41 pm

thanks for the held if you guys are in town (NY) you should check it out.

http://www.viceland.com/77BOADRUM/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]