FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you create this effect?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FischTale
How do you create this effect?
on Jun 27, 2007 at 4:13:44 pm

I've heard this particular audio effect in movies and music and I've always wondered how to recreate it. The best way I can describe it is a sort of pre-echo. I've included links to two samples that I could find in music. Please let me know if there is a name for this effect and how I might recreate it.

Thanks in advance!

Sample One
Sample Two
(sorry if you don't like rap music!)

Return to posts index

FischTale
Re: How do you create this effect?
on Jun 27, 2007 at 6:13:06 pm

I figured it out!

Reverse the audio
Apply reverb
Reverse again

Simple!

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 27, 2007 at 6:23:28 pm

I've never done this before, but what I would try is this. In your audio editing program set up a track with the audio in it (Track 1) and mute it. Then set up a pre fade aux send in Track 1 and return track (Return 1). On Return 1, insert a reverb (big hall). Set the parameters so that all you hear is the completely "wet" signal on this track. This will be your "pre-echo" as you call it. Now go back to Track 1, set up a second pre-fade send and return track (Return 2). On Return 2, insert a delay unit and set it's parameters to a completely "wet" signal (you want to hear the delay only). Set the delay time at 500ms to start with. You're trying to get this signal to be the main audio that you hear after the pre-echo. It sounds like this track (Return 2) will also get a touch of reverb to taste. Then it's just a matter of massaging and tweaking the audio to get what you want.

May not be the "right" way (like I said, I've never tried it before), but it certainly is one way.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 27, 2007 at 6:27:32 pm

Well, you replied while I was creating my post. Leave it to me to re-invent the wheel, only harder. Your way is much simpler.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]