FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tram Turtle Clip?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john hatcher
Tram Turtle Clip?
on Jun 22, 2007 at 9:10:09 pm

Hi guys,

Has anyone every seen a clip for a Tram I believe, similar to a vampire, but that has a cover on both sides to prevent clothing rustle against the mic? I worked with an audio guy once who had one called a turtle clip. I think it was for a Tram, but it could've been for a Sanken. As I remember it was made with like a place for the lav, with a fingernail sized piece of plastic on both top and bottom.

I keep having to mic guys with a lot of chest hair wearing super starchy shirts which is no-so-fun.

Please let me know if anyone has heard of such a thing.

Thanks!
John

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: Tram Turtle Clip?
on Jun 22, 2007 at 11:28:31 pm

I haven't seen what you are talking about apart from the "mousepad" that comes with the Sanken. It's a rubber mount that has no clips on it. Sounds like a pretty good idea though. The back of a Tram is fairly well insulated from clothing rubbing noise. I normally mount the Tram so that the mesh capsule is facing in towards the vampire clip. If I'm mounting it in the lapel then I tape down the additional fabric between the buttons to keep rubbing to a minimum. I just got a tip from a friend to use the double sided 3M foam tape to keep the clothing from rubbing against itself.

However, trying to mic somebody with a hairy chest and a starchy shirt while trying to maintain a clean sound is next to impossible. I don't have the guts to ask a guy to shave their chest, though I know guys who will ask. I've been thinking about getting a wife-beater T or maybe a tank top to put in my kit so that if a guy shows up with the same situation, he could wear that underneath to give me an extra layer between the outer shirt and the chest hair. You still have to do quite a bit of tape down to keep the fabrics from rubbing together, but that's manageable.

I recently worked on a fishing show where I had to bury a mic on a hairy chested guy wearing a Columbia fishing shirt. I ended up wrapping his chest and shoulder with a self-adhesive ace bandage in kind of a sling fashion. I then buried the mic (Sanken) in the outer most layer of the wrap. I couldn't tape the shirt down to the wrap unfortunately because the wrap will only stick to itself, but the wind was blowing hard enough that you didn't notice the rubbing.

Good luck and let us know what's working for you.

Return to posts index

john hatcher
on Jun 23, 2007 at 8:45:41 pm

Yeah, I love those Sanken rubber pads. They work great. I started to put my Remote Audio Elastic waist band around his chest, then vampire to that, but I'd still have the shirt to contend with. I'll keep checking into it because, I've seen the thing with my own two eyes before, so I know it's out there. It looks like two oval shields with a place for the mic in between, sort of like a sandwich.

Thanks though for trying! :)
J

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jun 24, 2007 at 1:49:16 pm

[john hatcher] "t looks like two oval shields with a place for the mic in between, sort of like a sandwich."

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.rycote.com/products/mics/undercovers/

They work great for me.
Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

john hatcher
on Jun 24, 2007 at 9:01:41 pm

Nope, that's not it either. I think I found it though. I did some digging today and check this out and let me know if you guys have used this. I believe this is what I was talking about.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=TRMC1&is=REG&Q...

J

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 25, 2007 at 1:55:47 am

Are you positive it was a Tram? PSC makes the Millimic which is very similar to the TR-50. Also, Countryman has the EMW series that look similar to the Trams. I read somewhere that the PSC came with a "turtle clip". All the pictures that I've seen recently just includes the vampire/viper clip and that cage clip that you are talking about. It's possible it was an older accessory that isn't produced anymore. I'll keep looking though.

Ray, those under/over covers look interesting. Which mics do you use with those? I want to try my luck with a couple of other combos first (3M double sided sticky foam tape and moleskin used together). I'm always interested in hearing what works for others.

Return to posts index

john hatcher
on Jun 25, 2007 at 2:55:14 pm

I dunno I really think that TramMC2 is the one I remember seeing. Check it out and tell me what you think.

J

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 25, 2007 at 3:56:24 pm

The MC1 and MC2 do not look like what you described in your first two posts. That cage looks like it's designed to protect the mic from being hit by something hard that would damage it, not something designed to protect from simple rubbing noise. I read a review online that used the term "turtle clip" when listing what was shipped with the PSC Millimic. But I haven't seen it anywhere else. I'll keep checking though, it sounds like an interesting accessory.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 25, 2007 at 4:37:56 pm

I could be wrong about the design of that cage mic. It may very well work against rubbing noise. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it seems very possible that is what it's designed for. That cage would keep the fabric away from the capsule and because it's just wires, there is not much surface area for the clothing to rub against.

Return to posts index

john hatcher
on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:00:06 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what it's designed for. I think I mistakenly described it because it has been awhile since I saw one. I'm going to get one tomorrow and put it through some field tests, see how she works. PSC makes one similar, but I think it only fits their mic and not a tram.
J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]