FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic sound effects

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jjmoldes
Basic sound effects
on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:21:47 am

Hi there,

wanted to ask u guys how the hell can i make the sound effect for a phone conversation? I mean I have the normal audio file of these guys talking, but i would like it to sound like a real phone noice from the other side of the line. I hope u guys understand what i say.

And another one, this one a bit more difficult.
I want to add music to a scene, but it sounds too clear and close. My characters are outside a club, and I wanted to make the song sound like it`s coming from inside the bar, behind the characters, or at least just make it sound vague so we get the feeling the music comes from somewhere else.

I use Premiere Pro in case it helps :)
sorry my questions as so lame and noobie, but I`m really a beginner and have no idea how to manage the sound for my movies!

thanks in advance
J

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: Basic sound effects
on Jun 20, 2007 at 1:16:56 pm

For the phone effect, I would try a simple EQ setting first. What you want is to use a high pass filter (HPF) set at around 1kHz and a low pass filter (LPF) set at around 2kHz. Basically you are removing all frequencies below 1k and above 2k, so have a very narrow frequency range left. If you really want authenticity then you could re-record the lines using cell phones (one actor speaks the lines in one cell and the other cell is miked up). If re-recording the actors themselves is not possible, then play the recorded lines back and hold the cell phone up to the speakers and record the other cell phone in another room.

For the club scene, if the scene is completely outside the club then I would set up a LPF for the music track set to around 400Hz or so. This way you are just hearing the lower frequencies. Try moving that LPF frequency around a bit to find the right effect.

Return to posts index

Jjmoldes
on Jun 20, 2007 at 5:25:27 pm

oh, thanks so much Rodney, I`ve just tried it and it worked wonders.
I was actually using the highpass filter, but it wasnt that good and never thought of combining the 2 filters, and it works great.

I`d like to know if it`s worth getting an audio program for these kind of things. I mean is it worth spending the time to learn how to do these minor fixes that u can also manage with APP for example?

thanks guys!

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Jun 21, 2007 at 1:54:18 pm

If you're going to be doing more complex stuff, learning the right way to do it and going at it with the optmial tools is definitely the way to go. These two examples are very basic things that can be done in most applications that have such a thing as an audio editor included in them. So if this is the funkiest manipulation you'll do, don't invest, just learn the tricks to achieve what you need. If you want to have a larger palette, then investing in software and plugins and especially investing time in learning the chops and fooling around with your new toys is a must.

For your telephone effect, you can make it more realistic by bringing up a compressor after your filtering and really compressing the hell out of it, with something like a 6:1 ratio and fast attack and release settings. I'm talking 10dB gain reduction to start with. The breaths will come to the front and, combined with the filtering, give you a truer rendition of what a phone really sounds like. Of course, recording through a phone in the first place is best, but it gives you zero maneuvrability if the plan changes or the client wants a different effect.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 22, 2007 at 7:23:15 pm

JC is absolutely correct. I had a full blown ProTools rig at my disposal every day for 4 years doing post production, sound design, radio spot production, etc. The only way to become good at this art is to have all the tools and practice, practice, practice. Some effects can be achieved fairly simply, others are more complex and require more knowledge, experience and tools.

At one point in my career I was offered the opportunity to train to become a video editor (AVID) but I turned it down because I wanted to focus solely on ProTools and audio production. You really have to dedicate yourself to a particular craft to be any good at it. So if audio production is something you are really interested in, then yeah get an audio editing program and go to town learning as much as you can. If it's more like something you might like to know but isn't a priority, I would say stick with what you have and ask some questions around here every now and then when you get stuck. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Jjmoldes
on Jun 22, 2007 at 9:24:50 pm

thank u guys for your help.
I think I wont even try with other programs, cos what i need is just a thing here and there for my movies. I like making short movies with my friends, just for fun, so what i need to know about audio is very basic stuff. I spend much more time editing video which is very fun.
Anyway, thanks!!!

g0g0 Montreal!!!
:D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]