FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic not very hot

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RJ
Mic not very hot
by
on Jun 19, 2007 at 1:10:13 am

I have an sennheiser me80 - which sounds great - but my problem is the mic isn't very hot. By that I mean, I have to crank it up as far as the pots will go to get a decent level on it. It doesn't seem to matter how far away the subject is. Anyone have any advice on this?

RJ Thomas

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
Re: Mic not very hot
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:22:50 am

I'm not familiar with the ME-80, but some mics have higher output levels than others. Dynamic mics, for example, tend do be much quieter than condensor mics.

If you're not getting enough level out of your camera's mic preamps, consider using a portable mixer such as a Sound Devices MixPre or SD 302 and going line level into the camera. A good portable mixer will give you plenty of clean gain for even relatively insensitive dynamic mics.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 19, 2007 at 10:07:20 am

What are you plugging it into? Are you feeding it Phantom Power?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 19, 2007 at 1:26:53 pm

The me90 requires phantom power to operate correctly. However, it will still pass audio without it. The result will be a very low audio signal with distortion in the peaks (transients) of the audio. Confirm that you have turned on phantom power.

I'm not familiar with the me90. It sounds like it has the k6 power module and then a screw on mic capsule. I believe the k6 can also be battery powered. If you are operating with a battery, make sure it is a new battery.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 19, 2007 at 1:40:00 pm

Just reread your post - you said ME80, not ME90. It doesn't use the k6 power module but the older k3 and k3u modules. Should still be a good mic.

Return to posts index

RJ
by
on Jun 19, 2007 at 2:39:48 pm

It does take Phantom and I did have the power on. I had an Audio Technica mic with me last week that also runs on 48 (though I can't remember the model) and that worked fine - so my power source doesn't seem to be the issue.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:17:28 pm

[RJ] " had an Audio Technica mic with me last week that also runs on 48"

Did the AT mic have a place for an internal battery such as a AA battery? If so, you could still have a issue with phantom if the AT worked but was running off an "Internal to the Mic" battery.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]