FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended field mixer and studio mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rick.pearl
Recommended field mixer and studio mixer
on Jun 17, 2007 at 8:30:28 pm

1.) Can anyone recommend a field mixer to connect to an HVX-200 for recording audio, primarily for documentary style interviews? The interviews will mainly be one person at a time, though it might consist of up to three people at the same time and use either a boom mic or lavalier mics.

2.) Can anyone recommend some sort of audio device to connect a mic into to record spoken word (narration) that will then be connected to a mac?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: Recommended field mixer and studio mixer
on Jun 18, 2007 at 1:30:46 am

The Sound Devices 302 is a three channel mixer and would be perfect for what you want to do. I wouldn't even bother looking at anything else. Expect to pay around $1300.

I've actually been considering the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder ($300) as a backup recording device to my portable ProTools rig. It's 24bit capable and has 2 XLR inputs. I could care less about the built in effects. I considered the Marantz PMD670, but had reservations due to several reviews claiming it has a noisy preamp. I'm assuming you don't need something with timecode features.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 18, 2007 at 1:42:59 am

Also, the H4 comes with a built in USB port for easy connection to your computer. Unfortunately, the H4 only records PCM or MP3 files - I would've liked to have at least seen BWF (WAV) files. I guess that's one of the compromises of this product for it's low price.

What's your budget for this?

For the ultimate in portability, check out the HHB Flashmic. I've used HHB recorders in the past and was very pleased.

BTW - if you buy from Sweetwater, you should be able to get them to send you three or four different recorders for you to demo, assuming that you're going to buy one of them.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Jun 18, 2007 at 6:12:13 pm

Rodney is on the money as far as the SD 302 goes. I use a Marantz PMD 660 for transcription purposes, it records mp3 or.wav files. Sounds fine. No timecode though.
ed

edward chick

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 18, 2007 at 8:25:58 pm

Hey Ed,
I'm curious as to the Marantz unit. You say it sounds fine (for transciption). Are you using the built in preamps or are you feeding a line level input into it? I really was serious about purchasing one a few months back, but was scared off by reports of noisy preamps. Would you ever use it as a main recording device?

I have a portable ProTools system with my laptop that I use to record v/o with a local celebrity at his home. When I worked in a studio I would record to ProTools and to a DAT backup, and it saved me a couple of times when ProTools crashed. Currently, I have no such backup system. Thus, the interest in the Marantz. I probably wouldn't use the preamps on it anyway, but if I ever had to, it would be nice to know I could trust them.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Jun 18, 2007 at 11:52:40 pm

Rodney,
I have used it for a backup device for a doc shoot. It only accepts line level in via a 3.5mm input. I have a TA3f to 3.5mm line level cable that I send a stereo feed via Tape Out of my Cooper CS104 to the Marantz.
The XLR inputs are Mic level only. I have recorded with both inputs (on separate occasions) and did not hear any hiss. It does offer Phantom power via the mic inputs.

I really think Marantz dropped the ball with the design of the inputs. But for it's money it does deliver a quality product. Fostex has new cf recorder out that from what I've read is a better design. Mic and line inputs are XLR.

At the time I bought it, it seemed like the best option for the money. Plus it is cool technology:)

ed

edward chick

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 19, 2007 at 12:58:08 am

Do your clients supply a flash card that they can take with them (for the transcription)? Or do you transfer the files to a computer and burn a disc?

The trusty CS104 huh? I would have gotten that mixer if the 442 hadn't just become available (back in '01).

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Jun 19, 2007 at 3:27:00 am

I offer two options. I either transfer to the client's laptop via the provided usb cable or they can keep the cf card for a little extra. Most opt for the direct transfer, then they can upload the files to an ftp for transcription. The 104 was bought used and just will not falter (it must know that it's replacement will be a 442:) I like the machined aluminum look anyway.

Ed

edward chick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]