FORUMS: list search recent posts

lowering crowd talk

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dpdenver
lowering crowd talk
on Jun 12, 2007 at 9:16:52 pm

I don't hold out a lot of hope here - but thought I would ask. I videoed a campfire sing-a-long using my shotgun mic - and while I got clean guitar audio, it also collected ambient crowd talk which I would like to lessen if I could. Unfortunately my audio editing skills are not great and I can't locate a vst or filter that I can make work.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to attempt to lower the crowd talk - I figure that unless it is a certain frequency that probably I can't - but I can find a range to try to work with.

Colorado Liquid User Group meets 3rd Tuesday every month.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: lowering crowd talk
on Jun 12, 2007 at 10:59:33 pm

If all else fails, can you have the guitar player "Loop" the audio by doing it again? He or she can listen to the live recording while you do a clean record of them playing it again.
Add some singers and you will have a terrific mix.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
on Jun 13, 2007 at 12:24:07 am

You may be able to de-emphasize the crowd in favour of the guitar through some judicious EQ.

Broadband noise reduction filters could be used to reduce background chatter, but not before thoroughly trashing the guitar. This sort of situation really comes down to mic placement and technique.

Return to posts index

dpdenver
on Jun 13, 2007 at 3:09:48 am

Re-recording is out. Obviously placement of mics is also out at this point. This started out as a just a off the cuff recording - had my cameras (DVC80 and 30) and the panasonic shotgun AG-100(I don't know what it compares to - but it's a fairly good shotgun I think). Then these guys perform ( http://vfwtech.com/Liquid/Video/RudeShort-1.wmv ) and there are some great songs - along with fire snaps and crowd talk. It was recorded for fun - but now I want to try to clean it up. I have tried some noise reductions with Audition - not too happy with it yet - but still working on it - I also have Cakewalk and Wavelabs - just not the experience of knowing how to cut the crowd noise and not affect the music in general.

Colorado Liquid User Group meets 3rd Tuesday every month.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 14, 2007 at 9:31:45 pm

You're hosed. People noise isn't continuous or predictable enough to be removed by noise reduction algorithms unless you're working on CSI-Miami. (which is, of course, fiction.)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Jun 15, 2007 at 4:27:50 am

But don't you just love the way they remove ALL background noise with a few keyboard strokes, using software that looks suspiciously like a histogram of a photo in Photoshop!!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 15, 2007 at 7:25:26 am

Ty. I believe that CSI Las Vegas has the better system. When they need to clean up their recordings from a camera phone video , they get the source list on the left side of their 53" plasma panel. In the list, you'll see "Dog Barking", "Siren", "Train", "Airplane", "Delivery Truck", "Footsteps", "Bad Guy Breathing", "Raindrops", "People Around a Campfire as a Guy Plays a Guiter", and of course. "The Sounds of Silence".

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Jun 15, 2007 at 4:44:56 pm

What I love is that those super-advanced computers all go "blip-blip" every time they touch a button. That must be so annoying! That's one of my sound design pet peves along with the concealed bomb that emits a 90 dB SPL "blip-blop".

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jun 18, 2007 at 7:37:29 pm

[JC Boulay] "with the concealed bomb that emits a 90 dB SPL "blip-blop""

Note to vile villains:

When building a time bomb, don't mount it to a countdown timer with 1.5" LED readouts on the front.

;)

Return to posts index

dpdenver
on Jun 27, 2007 at 3:28:06 am

Ya - hosed is right. I used Audtion, got rid of the fire crackles, tried a bunch with the noise reduction - but it usually got to tinnie so in the end I abandoned trying noise reduction, sweetened it up a bit and normalized it out - turned out just ok - except where the musician was sooooo good that everyone shut up while they sang. Guess I'm sending it off to Vegas next time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]