FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Editor

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LauraITT
Audio Editor
on Jun 6, 2007 at 7:53:19 am

Hey,
My boss has asked me to reasearch some audio editor software. Any one have any suggestions of what ones offer the best trials. I am on google looking them up but so far none that are appropriate. I need it to get rid of background noise such as wind, or people talking etc.
Thanks a mill,
Laura

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: Audio Editor
on Jun 6, 2007 at 12:39:37 pm

In my experience (as a staff ProTools engineer), noise removal plug-ins are not going to be of much help for removing wind noise and people talking in the background. Noise removal plug-ins work well for noise that is constant and consistent, such as hums and buzzes. Reducing wind noise can sometimes be a matter of EQ shelving - using a High Pass Filter (HPF) set at around 150Hz. Trying to remove people talking in the background is nigh to impossible, especially if it's during an interview. That's where you need a sound man in the field telling you that the background noise is too much. I spent many years as a field sound mixer and post production mixer/editor for a broadcast department. We did alot of interviews with people in the midst of a crowd. After trying to rescue many poorly recorded interviews I came to this conclusion: a good shotgun mic and a discerning set of ears in the field is what you need. I know this may not help you in your current situation, but the key to good audio is not how much you can fix in post, it's how much you can avoid in the field.

The best editing programs with the most sophisticated (and effective) noise removal plugs cost BIG $$$$ (CEDAR, etc.).

IIRC, ProTools no longer offers a free trial version.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. I'm not the absolute authority on this, that's for sure. I just know what my experiences were.

Return to posts index

LauraITT
on Jun 6, 2007 at 12:47:00 pm

[Rodney M] "The best editing programs with the most sophisticated (and effective) noise removal plugs cost BIG $$$$ (CEDAR, etc.)."

Hey,
What is in the 'etc' ?? Im sure my boss wouldnt mind forking out BIG $$$$ if it works well enough ?? Have you used Ceda before, Is it worth looking into ?
Thanks for replying
Laura

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 6, 2007 at 4:20:40 pm

CEDAR is a company that makes audio restoration hardware and software. CEDAR makes audio restoration tools for ProTools (both PC and Mac based). I don't know the cost of their products - but they have generally been considered to be some of the best tools in the business. They also make tools for SADiE, Neve and others.

I'm pretty sure that you'll need to get a ProTools TDM system to be able to use the CEDAR products. Again you're looking at a lot of money to get into these systems. Assuming you are starting from scratch I would venture to say you are looking at, minimally, $20K to get into it (CPU, I/O modules, plug-ins, control surface, monitoring...)

Other DAWs to consider if audio restoration is high on your list:

Fairlight
SADiE
Sonic Solutions

These are considered the "high-end" of the DAW market. Many tens of thousands of $$$ for these products. Generally only high volume production houses with purist audio engineers have this stuff.

Still, these products are only designed to remove crackle, hiss, hums, pops, thumps, distortion (somewhat) and to do it well and in real time. Removing wind noise, maybe. People talking, might be impossible.

There are tricks that an experienced engineer can use to eliminate pops and thumps within an editing program without these tools, but it's VERY time consuming. Hiss and hums you can reduce with notch filtering, but it also notches out those frequencies within the audio you want to restore/keep.

Return to posts index

LauraITT
on Jun 7, 2007 at 7:27:34 am

Hey Rodney M,
Thanks a mill for all the information. I didnt know that it would cost in the 10 - 20 k region to do this. That is a bit pricey for what the company is doing. We are making a 2nd DVD on the company and he bought a new camera, 'Sony Z1', So after spending money on that he would like the DVD to turn out a lot better than the previous version. I will try the notch filtering, I have messed with a lot of the filters in Sony vegas, but they dont work as well as I wished they would.
Thanks again.

Hey Ty Ford,
I will look at the website and "Existential Boogie"!!.
Thank you.

Hi Steve,
You have had your client ask for very strange things, but I am not asking for any thing strange. All I am looking into is buying an audio editor to reduce background noise such as wind, hisses, and bumps. I admit trying to get rid of people talking in the background is a bit much to ask for. You see most of the interviews that are done for this company are done inside a milking parlour so there is a lot of noise in the background. Also we would be recording the cows in the field so the wind noise is very extreme. My job here is to fix it and make the dvd.
Thanks.

Laura

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 6, 2007 at 8:29:45 pm

ou are correct, no PTFree.

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:23:46 am

Tell your boss that CSI is fictional and so is the button they push to make audio perfect. It's right next to the button that zooms in on the picture from the misterious video that they download from the bank's video system (over the Net) and then they zoom in to examine the pockmarks in the bank robber's face that are concealed under a mask.

What ever you do, DO NOT let your boss see the movie DejaVu or he will want you to go back in time and get that shot that somebody missed.

Just kidding! What you actually need is the "People in the Background" filter from Imagine That sound tools. They are running a promo right now and you can get "Background People", "Sirens", Airplanes", and "Barking Dog" for only $29.95 US.

Next month, they're running a special on video filters. They'll be offering "The Missing Actor", "Daylight at 3AM", "What Drop Out?", and "Oops, I forgot to Bring Tape".

I hope you got at least a little chuckle, Laura. I've had clients ask for some very strange things.

DRW, you need to jump on these deals before your credit card expires.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]