FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stereo Field Mixer for Boom Op

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill @ UGA
Stereo Field Mixer for Boom Op
on Jun 5, 2007 at 12:33:21 pm

Hello, I am looking for suggestions for a stereo mixer suitable for a boom operator. I've used a Shure FP32 for years but it gave up the ghost. Can't spend much more than $1,500. Thanks very much.

Bill

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Stereo Field Mixer for Boom Op
on Jun 5, 2007 at 4:46:30 pm

The sound devices SD302 is a great little mixer within your budget.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 5, 2007 at 5:47:12 pm

I'll second the SD302 from Sound Devices - it's an excellent little mixer. Although it's maybe a little too small (size) for my preferences, it does a lot of stuff well. Great sound, lots of flexibility for the price. It would be an upgrade in sound quality from your FP32, and I'm not bashing the Shure unit.

Sound Devices also makes the MixPre, which is a two input stereo mixer. It would do the job - assuming you don't need three inputs - but it lacks much of the flexibility and features that you get with the 302.

Go with the 302. It also comes in under your budget - expect to pay around $1300 + tax.

I've owned the Sound Devices 442 since late 2001 and have used the 302 and the MixPre on occasion. They are all excellent products.

If you feel you need more than 3 inputs, check out the PSC DV ProMix, which has 6 inputs and is still within your budget. However, I can't recommend this model. I've not used it, but I've used other PSC mixers, and I'm not really all that impressed by them. But that's just me.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 6, 2007 at 8:28:41 pm

thirding the 302.

I'm a 442 owner and have reviewed the 302 and 442 (beforeI bought one). The MixPre is also good but only has line outputs. If you never need a mic level input, it's OK, but I hink you'll appreciate what the 302 offers.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS I own a 744T as well.

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:27:46 am

We use a PSC Alpha Mix. Glad we spent the extra $$. It has multiple Beta Snakes out as well as a pair of XLRs. It has ports to power receivers, and can send mic and line level at the same time. 4 years old and no complaints. And. it has T Power. I think it was $1800.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]