FORUMS: list search recent posts

"P" pop problem with my Shure stick mics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Palmer
"P" pop problem with my Shure stick mics
on Jun 1, 2007 at 5:32:57 pm

We travel with a custom podium (Lecturn) which has a pair of 22.5" long Shure Micro Flex MX418s. Each has the 184 cardioid head.

We like the sound but I have been fighting the 'P' pop problem.
Each mic has its own soft foam factory wind screen and then I place both mic pickups together inside a single foam wind sock that came from a Shure SM57. It looks nice but I still get "P" pop problems.

During special events we might get 30 different people at the mic so educating the speaker is out of the question.

Should I look at another pickup or a different stick all together?

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: "P" pop problem with my Shure stick mics
on Jun 2, 2007 at 2:11:53 am

Some of those lectern mics are affordable, but poppy.

Try covering the mic element with a larger foam pop filter and secure it behind the capsule with a cable tie. Get one big enough so there's so air space between the mic and the inside of the new pop filter.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on Jun 2, 2007 at 9:54:28 pm

Here's a thought. Place a piece of masking tape or cloth tape (something thin and somewhat breathable) on the top of the mic capsule then place the foam windscreen over it. Be careful not to cover the side ports of the mic with the tape. You'll need to re-EQ but the tape may be enough to cut down on wind (breath) entering in through the top of capsule without altering the tone too much. Definitely do a sound check with this setup beforehand, as I've never tried this for breath pops.

Return to posts index

1stbaseman
on Jun 6, 2007 at 2:21:56 pm

Try having the mic capsules below each speaker so that they are not speaking directly into the capsule. Most people who will be at those mics are not trained to speak with a microphone, so the P plosive will always be a problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]