FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal + External Mic's working together ... Please help, Im so lost.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LauraITT
Internal + External Mic's working together ... Please help, Im so lost.
on May 28, 2007 at 9:24:56 am

Hey,

I have a 'Sennheiser ew100 G2' and Im using it with a 'Sony HVR-Z1E/Z1P' HDV digital video camera recorder. This is probably hard to explain on a forum but Im so lost trying to figure it out. So heres what Im trying to do:

Im trying to get the external mic and the internal mic working together. So far no luck, I can only get one or the other.

It seems that the Sennheiser ew100 G2 is set up properly, the wireless connection is working.

With the camera recorder there are many settings that needed changing so here is what I did:

Audio Monitor: CH1 + CH2 (Other choices: 'CH1, CH2', 'CH1', 'CH2')
Mic Select: XLR (Other choice: 'Internal Mic ')
XLR Set: CH1, CH2 (Other choice: 'CH1')
XLR AGC LINK: Linked (Other choice: 'Seperate')
Also I have the external mic plugged into 'Input 1' as opposed to 'Input 2'

With these settings all I can here is the noise coming off the external mic, there is no noise at all when I test the internal mic.

I appreciate all help and thanks in advance,

Laura

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: Internal + External Mic's working together ... Please help, Im so lost.
on May 28, 2007 at 5:40:05 pm

I would say it's probably because you have the XLR Set for Ch.1 and Ch.2. Basically you are telling the camera to assign the XLR input to both channels. As I understand it you want Ch. 1 to be the Senn. system and Ch. 2 to be the built-in camera mic. Change the XLR select to Ch. 1 only. It may default Ch. 2 back to the internal mic at that point.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on May 28, 2007 at 10:35:15 pm

Laura, set channel 1 to external, channel 2 to internal. In the Scroll down the audio menus, you will find Input Level 1 and 2. For Input 1 select MIC level. You don't need to do anything for Input 2. At the back of the camera, click channel 1 into manual mode. Leave channel 2 in auto. Or if levels get too hot, click to manual and take it down. Push status check and the audio meters will appear, set channel 1 to -20db. Do the same for the internal mic if it starts to clip.

edward chick

Return to posts index

LauraITT
on May 29, 2007 at 8:06:21 am

Hey,
Thanks for all the info. I have tried both suggestions and it hasn't worked. Should the wireless receiver be plugged into input 1 or input 2 ? And also the [edward chick] "Laura, set channel 1 to external, channel 2 to internal."
I set channel 1 to external but there is no setting that allows me to set channel 2 to internal. There is a setting called 'audio monitors' that has 4 settings 'CH1,CH2', 'CH1', 'CH2', 'CH1+CH2'. Is this where I change internal to channel 2 ?

QOUTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM
Having worked with this camera for 1.5 years, I have never been able to use an internal with external mic. I can use two externals or the internal. I've had many a sound man and cam op say it has to be possible - then they've all spent 20 minutes playing with the settings and no luck. I use a wireless and a shotgun in tandem and the coverage is awesome. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Kind Regards, Chris K.

Is this true ??

Thanks again for replying as I know this is a hard topic to discuss when camera is not infront of you.
Laura

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on May 29, 2007 at 12:00:10 pm

Laura, according to the operators manual for the z1u there is a Mic select mode in the menus. There you can choose either internal mic or external xlr. It does not state anywhere if you can use both at the same time.

edward chick

Return to posts index

LauraITT
on May 29, 2007 at 12:03:11 pm

Edward
Thanks for the help, will have to tell the boss he needs to buy another external mic.
Laura

Return to posts index

chiahawk
on May 30, 2007 at 12:53:03 pm

QOUTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM
Having worked with this camera for 1.5 years, I have never been able to use an internal with external mic. I can use two externals or the internal. I've had many a sound man and cam op say it has to be possible - then they've all spent 20 minutes playing with the settings and no luck. I use a wireless and a shotgun in tandem and the coverage is awesome. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Kind Regards, Chris K.

Is this true ??

That's the deal Laura. I've tried every possible method to record as you described with my Z1 with no luck. We now use a wireless and a short shotgun. Also note that if you set your input to XLR and plug in to channel 2 ONLY you won't get anything (odd...I know). Start with Chan 1. Good Luck, CH

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on May 30, 2007 at 2:58:51 pm

Does this particular camera have a stereo shotgun mic as the internal mic? If so, this explains why you can't simply switch it to one channel only. Though a simple mono summing circuit would do the trick, I guess that's how you cut costs on a camera in this price range. I've not used this camera extensively enough to know - I've provided line level feeds for it (as a third camera) from my mixer, but that's about it.

Return to posts index

LauraITT
on May 30, 2007 at 3:14:33 pm

Ya its a stereo mic, only found out the last day. Sure I only been using this camera for less than a month and at that Im more on the editing side of things. The boss bought the external mic and asked me to set it up. So now I must tell him he needs to buy another.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:30:46 am

Next thing you know, the boss will want you to remove the sound of people talking in the background.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]