FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recent success/failures

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney M
Recent success/failures
on May 25, 2007 at 8:29:31 pm

Well, I just returned from a week of shooting a fishing tips show for a major sports network. This shoot was one of the more challenging shoots I've had from an audio recording / mic placement standpoint. We shot 12 segments with a host and one or two guests. All were shot in a bass boat or a pontoon boat. All lav mics had to be hidden. For 3 days we had a steady 20 - 30 mph wind. Our host for the show was a professional angler who was very easy to work with. I quickly found a great place for hiding his mic. I used my LectroSonics 210 wireless units with Sanken COS-11 mics. I talked the host into wearing a T-shirt under his fishing (sponsor) shirt. I first affixed a small piece of moleskin to his t-shirt right between his pecks and about an inch lower than the nipple line. I then used a piece of gaffer's tape to tape the mic to the moleskin and the shirt, being careful not to cover the top of the rubber sleeve. The moleskin acted as another layer of windprotection. I also taped down a portion of the mic cable about a foot away from the mic capsule to provide some strain relief. With the fishing shirt over the top it was a perfect situation. I couldn't have been happier.

The real challenge came with miking up the guests, many of whom wore the Columbia fishing shirts that are, in my opinion, terrible for recording sound. They generate alot of fabric/clothing noise on their own. Also, 2 of the guests with these shirts had very hairy chests. Due to several reasons, they could not wear a t-shirt underneath. I tried taping (combo of gaff/moleskin) the Sankens (in their rubber sleeves) to the back sides of the lapels, but the chest hair created too much rubbing noise. Because of the heavy winds, I couldn't really hide the mics between the lapels, due to their exposure to the wind. What I ended up doing is wrapping a self adhering bandage wrap around the chest and bury the mic in the first layer of the wrap, between the pecks. The wind whipping through the shirt helped hide any rubbing noise of the shirt against the bandage and eliminated the chest hair rub. Also, there was very little wind noise with this setup, even though I used NO windscreens of any sort even with the heavy winds.

Anybody else, have any suggestions/tips/techniques to share.

BTW - I own and use:

3 - Sanken COS-11 mics
2 - Tram TR-50s

I also have 4 Countryman EMWs for backups. They sound great, but I think are a bit less versatile than the Trams.

I want to pick up some of the Countryman B6 mics as well. Maybe this summer. I like having a lot of different lav mics available for different situations.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: Recent success/failures
on May 25, 2007 at 8:39:55 pm

Rodney,
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]