hi guys we got a shoot coming up next week

what can you recommend as far as mikes go to capture
10-15 people sitting at a long table having
conversation etc ?

Return to posts index

edward  chick
Re: best mike for a group sitting at a table
on May 23, 2007 at 10:50:40 pm

Boundary mics are ideal. Go to peterengh.com.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 24, 2007 at 11:26:44 am

Phew,

That can be a recipe for disaster. Are they sitting around a table facing each other, eg like sitting at the dining room table?

The problems are that you need enough mics close enough to everyone so that everyone can be heard. The acutual size and shape of the table is important for where to place mics.

If they are ON the table and you get pencil tappers or paper fiddlers, you have a mess.

You need an automixer to turn off any mics not being spoken into or you'll get really nasty audio.

AT and Shure both make 8 channel automixers. I'd start there.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on May 24, 2007 at 2:25:09 pm

I agree with Ty. Use an automated mixer with the same type of microphone for each person or two.

We have three of the Shure 8 channel for a total of 24 at a time.
We tried at first to do a live mix with a standard board, but no one is that good.

One very big question though. You mentioned capture the audio. Will this be sent to a live P.A., Public address?
It is one thing to capture the audio for recording and another to capture and amplify the audio.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 25, 2007 at 5:40:33 am

How about a little more detail. Is this a one take deal or film style where you can repeat things? Will there be a wide cover shot and then close up insert shots? Does everyone talk? There are several ways to do this but it would vary according to your situation.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Arty
by
on May 26, 2007 at 10:58:48 am

we are being hired to shoot a segment in what they would like to be a "reality" based show

i think they are looking for as much natural conversation to happen as possible...

picture 10 loud men sitting at a table randomly conversating over dinner !

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 27, 2007 at 7:52:42 am

If you are using several cameras, you'll need the sound from the shot that each camera has.

As a shot in the dark, you might want to have a monitor available for a boom operator so he can follow your action. That would go on ch1. Second, use the PZMs suggested by someone else. Put that on ch2. Repeat per camera.

this sounds like a complete crap shoot that could go either way. But, with a bit of planning, it should go well. The problem I see is people talking over one another.

Good luck

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 26, 2007 at 7:26:25 pm

I've had good luck using PZMs taped to a table. There's not as much table noise as you'd expect. You can prbably cover 3 people per mic. However, I'd experiment before the shoot with different mics and placements. Regardless of mic type and placement the automixers are a good idea.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]