FORUMS: list search recent posts

need help on digitizing the vinyls

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kutmasta
need help on digitizing the vinyls
on May 19, 2007 at 7:37:25 pm

I have a Decklink Extreme card installed on my G5 and trying to capture music from vinyl records using either FCP or Soundtrack Pro. The turntable is connected to mixer (the ones DJ uses). The mixer has a RCA out and XLR out. When I connect the mixer to decklink via XLR, I don't get any sound at all. The mixer is amplifiying the sound so that I can hear the music fine when I connected the mixer to AUX in of my boombox. any advice?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Rodney M
Re: need help on digitizing the vinyls
on May 19, 2007 at 9:53:31 pm

The Decklink Extreme handles both AES (digital) and analog inputs, and they probably have different XLR connectors on the fan out. It sounds as if you may be connecting the analog outs of the mixer to the digital inputs of the extreme card, in which case you won't hear anything. If the fan out uses the same XLR connectors for both digital and analog inputs (I've never seen it like this before because there is an impedence difference that could be damaging, but hey you never know), then make sure that the analog inputs are selected (probably somewhere in a peripherals setting). I'm just guessing here - hopefully you get it working soon.

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on May 19, 2007 at 10:00:54 pm

Ok, so I just looked at the fan out for the extreme card and there are only analog inputs available on XLR. In fact, it doesn't input AES at all, though there are AES outs available. All digital input is an SDI signal. So never mind my first post - I should have done a little research first. My apologies.

Which mixer are you using?

Return to posts index

kutmasta
on May 19, 2007 at 11:47:23 pm

my mixer is Vestax, VMC-002XL

any suggestion?

Return to posts index

Rodney M
on May 20, 2007 at 12:29:19 am

Assuming that your XLR outs on your mixer are working correctly, then I would make sure that your computer is looking at the analog inputs on your Extreme card. Sounds like it may be configured to look for the SDI inputs currently. Again I'm guessing, I've not used any of the products you've listed. But I have used other DAW's and you have to specify which input your looking for, analog or digital.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 20, 2007 at 1:28:37 am

Hi Kutmasta,

Can you plug something else into the Extreme XLRs to see if your system see any analog audio at those inputs?

Then try to find something with XLR inputs to test the outputs of your mixer.

Maybe it's just a button on the mixer. BTW, the mixer does have turntable inputs, right?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]