FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio problem on miniDV tape

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Stoner
audio problem on miniDV tape
on May 7, 2007 at 9:19:57 pm

apologize for the off-topic nature of this post, but i know it's a busy forum so i thought perhaps i could plead for help.

shot an event recently with a JVC GY-DV5000. about 40 minutes into the miniDV tape playback, the audio and video began to cut out out. the video came back but the audio did not. dead silence. after about 10 minutes of this, the audio mysteriously reappears.

to my horror, this exact thing happened at an event the following weekend -- audio and video drop out, video returns but audio does not.

i'm assuming i have a had clog and that the audio is unsalvageable. but, back in the old days of analog if you had a head out of aligment, you could move the head aligmnent and salvage some of the picture / audio quality. is there ANYTHING that anyone can suggest as a last ditch effort to confirm that the audio is in fact just gone?

i was not using a wireless mic, and the on-camera mic works fine.

i'm heartbroken over this.

thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: audio problem on miniDV tape
on May 8, 2007 at 2:04:59 pm

If the audio drops out at exactly the same place during playback, it's probably a tape problem. Or......

That you were able to run tape again and have some audio and then have it do the same thing makes me think it's a tape transport problem; something in the tensioning arms that is OK until X amount of tape winds up on the takeup reel.

I would have the camera serviced before your next shoot.

See if the "bad tape" plays on any other player.

Are these a new batch of tapes? Maybe something wrong with the batch?

Did you change from one formula tape to another?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford's "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" was written for video people who want better audio. Find out more at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html
or http://www.tyford.com
Download Ty Ford's "Existential Boogie" from iTunes now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]